Pace bowler Dale Steyn grabbed 5-50 to help restrict Sri Lanka to 283-9 in reply to South Africa’s first-innings score of 455-9 declared on day three Friday of the first Test. It was the 23rd five-wicket haul in 73 Tests for Steyn, who gained appreciable reverse swing to rip through the middle order after taking two wickets in the first session.
Steyn took 3-8 in a five-over spell in the post-tea session as Sri Lanka slipped from 190-4 to 201-7 and stared at the prospect of following on. Steyn was spot on during that five-over spell as Lahiru Thirimanne (38) was caught behind, Dinesh Chandimal (8) pulled straight to short mid-wicket, and Dilruwan Perera (0) inside-edged one to be caught behind.
At the close, Rangana Herath was not out on 12 with last man Shaminda Eranga due to come in as Sri Lanka were still 172 runs behind. Captain Angelo Mathews produced a fine counter-offensive to save home blushes with another staunch innings of 89 which came with the help of one six and 14 fours. Mathews once smashed Morne Morkel for five fours in an over to get past the 50-run mark for the 15th time in his career. He added 71 for the eighth wicket with Herath in what was the best partnership of the innings.
The Sri Lanka middle order had been struggling to capitalize on opener Upul Tharanga’s innings of 83 before Mathews stepped up yet again. In sight of a century in a third straight test, Mathews mistimed a sweep of Imran Tahir and sent the ball onto his stumps. He’d played 182 deliveries, and gave legspinner Tahir his only wicket.
Tharanga, 20 in an overnight score of 30 without loss, marked his return to Test cricket after more than six years with his fourth half century. The left-hander struck one six and 14 fours before he was stumped off spinner Jean-Paul Duminy after facing 155 balls. His was the only wicket to fall in the middle session.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest