Steve Smith offers beer to Ajinkya Rahane and Indian team

Steve had a brief chat with India's stand-in captain Ajinkya Rahane after the game and offered a round of beer.

By: PTI | Dharamsala | Updated: March 28, 2017 9:09 pm
Steve Smith apologised for letting emotions get the better of him throughout the series. (Source: PTI)

Australian captain Steve Smith reached out to IPL teammate Ajinkya Rahane and the Indian team, offering a round of beer after the end of the bitterly-fought Test series which the hosts won 2-1.

Smith, who apologised for letting emotions get the better of him throughout the series, also had a brief chat with India’s stand-in captain Rahane after the game.

“I said (to Rahane) see you next week, he’s in my team for the IPL,” Smith told ABC Grandstand.

“I asked if he wanted us to come in for a drink being at the end of the series. He said he’d get back to me. With Ajinkya, we get on well. He’s in my IPL team so I’ll be with him for the next few weeks,” he said of Rising Pune Supergiants teammate.

It’s part of Australian culture to have beer with rival players once the contest is over.

While Smith was apologetic, rival captain Virat Kohli gave a fair indication that the hostility between the two teams would not end anytime soon by saying that he doesn’t consider Aussies his off the field friends anymore.

“No, it (the friendship equation with the Aussies) has changed for sure. I thought that was the case but it has changed for sure. As I said in the heat of the battle, you want to be competitive but yeah I have been proven wrong.

“The thing I said before the first Test, I have certainly been proven wrong and you won’t hear me say that ever again.” said Kohli.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

ajay
    Mar 29, 2017 at 2:59 pm
    (0)(0)
      ajay
      Mar 29, 2017 at 2:58 pm
      thank you sir for sharing this info. You are doing great job. This is a very useful information for us. Hope you like this.lt;br/gt;IPL Prediction
      (0)(0)
        kohli karma
        Mar 28, 2017 at 11:18 pm
        That's the way Australia pay to unselttle opponent especially targeting captain.lt;br/gt;Kohli should put it aside and accepted Smith's offer over a chat and a beer after the series. Australians by large good fellas. Easy and laid back people
        (0)(0)
          kohli karma
          Mar 28, 2017 at 11:39 pm
          The problem is some Indian players cannot speak english to give it back to Aussies. People who can speak reasonable english are Kohli, Ashwin and Vijay. lt;br/gt;Pujara and Rehane, need to improve the spoken skills in this language. The rest cannot speak english. This made Indians more frustration, the clical example is Jadeja, Smith and Wade conversation in the last test...
          (0)(0)
            SATISH
            Mar 28, 2017 at 5:40 pm
            HATS OF TO VIRAT KOHLI WHO IS A PERSON OF CLEAR MIND. I RARELY FOUND SACHIN GIVING SUCH REPLY TO THE AUSSIES EVER.
            (0)(0)