Jerome Jayaratne has been appointed Sri Lanka’s interim national team coach as a replacement for Marvan Atapattu, Sri Lanka Cricket announced on Monday.
Jayaratne, 49, and a former Under 19 international, will be in charge of the team for the West Indies tour in October.
Atapattu resigned last week following the Test series defeat to Pakistan and India.
- Battle of the Blues in Sri Lanka: A school cricket match older than Ashes
- In Hamilton, Sri Lanka say track is ‘doctored’
- Sri Lanka coach Marvan Atapattu resigns after back-to-back series loss
- Domestic set-up to blame for Sri Lanka collapses
- Marvan Atapattu takes fresh guard
- Sri Lanka appoint Marvan Atapattu as interim coach
India won a Test series for the first time in Sri Lanka for 22 years by beating the home side 2-1.
Jayaratne has for a long time served SLC as its head coach.
The interim appointment comes ahead of plans to recruit either South African Graham Ford or Sri Lankan Chandika Hathurusinghe.