All-rounder Angelo Mathews on Tuesday replaced Lasith Malinga as captain of the Sri Lankan cricket team for the ICC World Twenty20 in India but the injury-ravaged pacer managed to retain his place in the side.
The team was picked by the new selection committee headed by the former skipper Aravinda de Silva which also includes Kumar Sangakkara.
Malinga was asked by the management to resign as captain after a spate of injuries which relegated him to a non-playing captain.
READ: Sri Lanka fire cricket selectors ahead of World T20
The pacer eventually stepped down on Monday owing to slow recovery from a knee injury, which forced him to miss most of
the recent Asia Cup.
Ironically, it was Malinga who was captain when Sri Lanka won the last World T20 held in Bangladesh in 2014.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Fast bowler Suranga Lakmal returned to the side along with the left-handed batsman, Lahiru Thirmanna.
Both were not part of the recent Asia Cup when Sri Lanka were beaten by India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Their only win coming against associate team the UAE.
Sri Lanka squad: Angelo Mathews (Captain), Dinesh Chandimal (Vice Captain), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Lahiru Thirimanna, Shehan Jayasuriya, Milinda Siriwardena, Chamara Kapugedara, Dasun Shanaka, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekera, Dushmantha Chameera, Rangana Herath, Suranga Lakmal, Sachithra Senanayake and Lasith Malinga.