Allrounder Wayne Parnell has been omitted from the South Africa squad for its World Twenty 20 match against the Netherlands so he can appear in court in Mumbai.
The team said in a statement Wednesday that Parnell will not be available for Thursday’s match as he needs to appear in court that day over a drug-related charge handed to him during the 2012 Indian Premier League.
“We were made aware before the T20 World Cup that Wayne would have to travel to India to appear in court as a matter of procedure and we have made provision for this in our planning,” team manager Mohammed Moosajee said. “It’s unfortunate to lose him for a game in the middle of an important tournament him, but we must respect the law.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“Furthermore, Wayne has expressed no wrongdoing so we hope that the case can be concluded as soon as possible,” he added.
Parnell and his then-Pune Warriors teammate Rahul Sharma were arrested while attending a party that was subject to a drug raid. Their blood and urine samples were taken along with 88 others partygoers.
The 24-year-old Parnell denied any wrongdoing and was granted bail.
Parnell’s manager Donne Commins said in a statement that the appearance was for purely procedural purposes.
“Our understanding is that there will be no substantive inquiries made of him at the hearing, nor will the matter be progressed otherwise than as a matter of procedure,” Commins said.
Parnell, who has not played in South Africa’s first two World T20 games, will rejoin the team Friday.