India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni will be answerable if an enquiry is ordered into cover up of the IPL betting and fixing scandal since he lied to the probe panel that Gurunath Meiyappan was not associated with CSK in any official capacity, Senior Counsel Harish Salve said on Friday.
While deposing before the Mukul Mudgal-headed probe panel, appointed by Supreme Court, Dhoni had corroborated BCCI chief N Srinivasan’s remarks that Meiyappan was a mere a cricket enthusiast.
Salve, who appeared in Supreme Court for the petitioner Aditya Verma, secretary of Cricket Association of Bihar, said it was indeed a lie aimed at covering up.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“He (Dhoni) said this on record. In one voice with Mr Srinivasan he said that Meiyappan was only an enthusiast. I have no personal knowledge of it, it is the report that said.
According to the report, Meiyappan used to sit in the players dug out and was also there in the players auction for the team (CSK). And Dhoni knew it. What was the need for the captain to say that. The definition of corruption includes cover up,” Salve said.
“It is in IPL definition that cover up is part of corruption. It (Dhoni’s statement) is not secret. He just made error in judgement. I have respect for him as a cricketer and I feel for him,” he said.
Asked if Dhoni was answerable, Salve said, “absolutely,if there is an enquiry for cover up.” “Why he told the Committee? And by defending Dhoni, BCCI has further compromised his position. BCCI as a disciplinary body should have asked Dhoni why you made such statement. It’s the BCCI which has aligned with India Cements and questioned the Committee report,” he said.