India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni will be answerable if an enquiry is ordered into cover up of the IPL betting and fixing scandal since he lied to the probe panel that Gurunath Meiyappan was not associated with CSK in any official capacity, Senior Counsel Harish Salve said on Friday.
While deposing before the Mukul Mudgal-headed probe panel, appointed by Supreme Court, Dhoni had corroborated BCCI chief N Srinivasan’s remarks that Meiyappan was a mere a cricket enthusiast.
Salve, who appeared in Supreme Court for the petitioner Aditya Verma, secretary of Cricket Association of Bihar, said it was indeed a lie aimed at covering up.
“He (Dhoni) said this on record. In one voice with Mr Srinivasan he said that Meiyappan was only an enthusiast. I have no personal knowledge of it, it is the report that said.
According to the report, Meiyappan used to sit in the players dug out and was also there in the players auction for the team (CSK). And Dhoni knew it. What was the need for the captain to say that. The definition of corruption includes cover up,” Salve said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“It is in IPL definition that cover up is part of corruption. It (Dhoni’s statement) is not secret. He just made error in judgement. I have respect for him as a cricketer and I feel for him,” he said.
Asked if Dhoni was answerable, Salve said, “absolutely,if there is an enquiry for cover up.” “Why he told the Committee? And by defending Dhoni, BCCI has further compromised his position. BCCI as a disciplinary body should have asked Dhoni why you made such statement. It’s the BCCI which has aligned with India Cements and questioned the Committee report,” he said.