Shakib Al Hasan, former Bangladesh captain and the senior-most member of the current Mushfiqur Rahim-led side, copped a three-match ban from his cricket board BCB for making a lewd gesture on camera during the second one-dayer against Sri Lanka on Thursday.
About 10 overs after Shakib was dismissed during Bangladesh’s attempt of chasing 290 in Mirpur, the large screen at the Sher-e-Bangla ground showed replays of his dismissal, before the camera panned towards the Bangladesh dressing room.
It was then that Shakib gestured towards his crotch and then the camera, a footage that was played live on television and across the stadium’s monitors. It was later suggested that the all-rounder perhaps did not take well to the criticism dished out by the commentators on-air when they discussed his dismissal.
Fine and ban
Apart from being fined $3800 for this ‘inappropriate gesture’, Shakib will be forced to miss the third one-dayer against Sri Lanka on Saturday and the first two matches of the Asia Cup, which Bangladesh are hosting next week. While the Lanka one-dayer is a dead rubber encounter, the two Cup matches against India (February 26) and Afghanistan (March 1) are not.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Shakib was dealt with the ban after he was summoned to appear before a disciplinary committee on the eve of the final ODI against Sri Lanka on Friday.
“Bangladesh cricketer Shakib Al Hasan has been penalised for breaching the BCB Code of Conduct,” the board said. “Shakib appeared at a disciplinary hearing of the BCB today and admitted the offence and accepted responsibility for the act.”
According to ESPN Cricinfo, Nizamuddin Chowdhury, the acting president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, said the following in a statement. “Shakib was repentant for the incident and readily accepted that the behavior was unbecoming of a player of his experience and stature. We also reminded him that his action was unacceptable.”