Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has sent out a clear message to flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi that he did not figure in its future scheme of things by dropping him from the central contract list for 2016/17.
Afridi, a former Test, ODI and T20 captain, was in category A of the last central contracts list but this time he failed to find a place for himself in the list altogether.
The board has also dropped champion off-spinner Saeed Ajmal from the central contract list, although he was retained last time despite being banned from bowling by the ICC in 2014. Ajmal had last played for Pakistan in Bangladesh in April, 2015.
Also dropped from the list is left-arm pacer Junaid Khan.
In the new list announced on Wednesday, leg-spinner Yasir Shah has been promoted to category A while former captains Muhammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik were also retained in top category.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
PCB, meanwhile, demoted batsmen Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal to category C.
Although the two would now be considered for national selection again, they were dropped for the tour to England on disciplinary grounds.
Interestingly, PCB has included an uncapped player, left-arm spinner Muhammad Asghar, in category C. Asghar has
been playing regularly for the Pakistan A side but is yet to make his debut for the senior team.
A total of 19 players have been given category C contracts.
Even though PCB has not given any pay increase this time but players in the top category will take home a monthly
salary of around 5,00,000 rupees besides their match fees and other allowances and bonuses.
Category A: Misbah-ul-Haq, Muhammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Yasir Shah, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan.
Category B: Wahab Riaz, Asad Shafiq, Rahat Ali, Muhammad Aamir.
Category C: Haris Sohail, Muhammad Rizwan, Shaan Masood, Muhammad Irfan, Imran Khan senior, Sami Aslam, Babar Azam, Imad Wasim, Khalid Latif, Sharjeel Khan, Hassan Ali, Sohail Khan, Sohail Tanvir, Muhammad Nawaz, Anwar Ali, Muhammad Asghar, Zulfiqar Babar, Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal.