Kumar Sangakkara made a career-best 319 and joined the 11,000-run club on the way as Sri Lanka took control of the second Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong on Wednesday. The tourists hit up 587 in their first innings and Bangladesh replied with 86/1 by stumps.
Sangakkara’s maiden triple century was his ninth 200-plus knock, leaving him in second place behind Australian legend Don Bradman who had 12 scores of 200 or more. Sangakkara, playing his 122nd Test, also became the ninth Test batsmen to reach the 11,000-run mark. He now has 11,046 runs in the all-time list headed by India’s Sachin Tendulkar (15,921). Having started the day on 160, Sangakkara hit 32 boundaries and eight sixes before he was last man out before tea.
Bangladesh’s reply began on the wrong foot when opener Tamim Iqbal was bowled by Suranga Lakmal with the fourth ball of the innings. But Shamsur Rahman (45 not out) and Imrul Kayes (36 not out) repaired the early damage by adding 86 for the unbroken second wicket. Both batsmen were lucky to survive till close as Shamsur was dropped by Mahela Jayawardene on 36 and Nuwan Pradeep grassed a simple catch offered by Kayes just before stumps.
The day was lit up by glorious strokeplay from Sangakkara, who flayed Bangladesh’s hapless bowlers on the slow pitch at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium. Left with number 11 Nuwan Pradeep at the other end, Sangakkara moved from 286 to 302 with a four and two sixes off consecutive deliveries from left-arm spinner Shakib Al Hasan. Pradeep contributed just four in the 10th-wicket stand of 54 with Sangakkara, who knocked up 116 runs in the company of the last three batsmen.
Brief scores: Sri Lanka 1st innings 587 all out (K Sangakkara 319, M Jayawardne 72; S Al Hasan 5/48, N Hossain 2/16); Bangladesh 1st Innings: 86/1 (S Rahman 45 n.o, I Kayes 36 n.o)
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016