India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni feels that Ravindra Jadeja’s 45-ball unbeaten 66 in the tied one-dayer against New Zealand will help the left-hander to develop into a more mature batsman. Excerpts from the post-match media interaction
We are hoping that he (Jadeja) develops further as a batsman. The kind of talent that he has, we have seen him score plenty of runs in domestic the circuit. He just needs to get his thinking right and this innings should really help him do that. He has been quite consistent as a bowler for us. Wickets haven’t turned here at all, but usually left-arm spinners are able to get turn wherever they bowl.
On Ashwin the batsman
This game is good exposure for the two (Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin) of them. There aren’t many times that they have been in a situation like this. So this should help them grow as batsmen, especially Ashwin who has been working hard on his batting and he has a lot more to offer in batting department,” he added.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
On the tie
The big thing for us was to stay alive in this series. This game could have gone either way at the point where we lost five wickets for 140-odd runs. It seemed we needed to work hard and hard work and application to win from there. Jadeja and Ashwin batted really well to take us where we are now and keep us alive in the series.
On decision to field first
If we ask the batsmen to bat first and give the bowlers a total, in a way then we are taking some pressure off them But the other way is that we might ask the batsmen to give 325-340 runs to bowlers every time they bat, irrespective of wherever they are playing. The short grounds are something we have to keep in mind.
On losing wickets in the middle overs
In the middle overs, we haven’t got the partnerships that’s really needed. With the kind of rule changes, we have in ODIs now, if you have wickets, you have an edge especially from the 35th over onwards. We are losing quite a few wickets in middle overs, which means we have to restart building the innings and we lose 25-30 runs.
On own performance
My responsibility as a batsman is to stay till the end and so far in this series, I have not been able to do that. If I get out close to the 40-43rd over, it puts pressure on batsmen after me.
About Aaron, well, he needs to play a few more games and find consistency in his line and length. Also, if he is bowling at 140-145 km/hr, he needs to bowl two bouncers every over, irrespective of where he is playing. This is something we want our bowlers to understand. More than pace, the height of the bouncer is very important. So far in this series, we have used bouncers more than often and got some success as well.
On misfiring batting
We have got power hitters in our batting, but we haven’t fired. We haven’t availed the last 10 overs, yet we are very close to opposition targets. Hopefully, in this series we will able to use those overs and get those extra runs in the remaining matches of this series. There is a certain brand of cricket we are known to play. That was missing in the last few games. So it was very important to express ourselves and the openers did that, so did the lower-order. Overall, I like the approach we showed in this game