Bengal today wallopped a Yuvraj Singh led fancied Punjab outfit by 115 runs in a Ranji Trophy group league encounter.
Chasing a target of 360 in maximum 76 overs, Punjab were dismissed for 244 in 72.3 overs with former India spinner Pragyan Ojha (4/70) brilliantly complementing the pace duo of Amit Kuila (3/93) and Ashok Dinda (2/59).
Bengal were all out for 226 in their second innings after the lower-middle order aaded only 44 runs to their overnight score. Skipper Manoj Tiwary (92 no) remained stranded at one end having hit 12 boundaries and a six in 130 balls.
Kuila had a memorable debut with a match haul of eight wickets but Sayan Sekhar Mondal’s first innings ton got him the ‘Man of the Match’ award.
Ojha in fact rose to the occasion getting the prized scalp of Yuvraj Singh (26, 22 balls), who was looking dangerous having hit a couple of sixes and a four during his brief stay.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Credit should go the Bengal bowlers for making a good comeback after Punjab openers Jiwanjot Singh (44) and Manan Vohra (75) added 100 runs in 26 overs.
Veteran Dinda got the first breakthrough when Jiwanjot was caught by Pankaj Shaw. The stodgy Uday Kaul (7) edged an away going delivery from Kuila to Shreevats Goswami behind the stumps.
Wicketkeeper batsman Geetansh Khera (0) was promoted but was out first ball to a close in catch from Agniv Pan.
From 100 for 0, Punjab were reduced to 112 for 3 beofre Yuvraj started hitting the bowling adding 44 with Vohra.
But his dismissal at team total of 156 somewhat ended Punjab’s visions of a victory.
India discard Gurkeerat Singh (1) was trapped leg before with a perfect incutter and once Vohra was caught by skipper Manoj Tiwary off Ojha, it was a matter of time before Bengal won the match.
But MS Gony (43) and Siddharth Kaul (11) fought well to add 55 runs for the final wicket before debutant Ayan Bhattacharya got Gony to edge one to Shreevats behind the stumps.
Brief Scores: Bengal 404 and 226 (Manoj Tiwary 92 no, Siddharth Kaul 6/57)
Punjab 271 & 244 in 72.3 overs (Manan Vohra 75, Yuvraj Singh 26, Pragyan Ojha 4/70, Amit Kuila 3/93, Ashok Dinda 2/59). Bengal won by 115 runs.