The spotlight was firmly trained on fit-again opener K L Rahul as senior pro Gautam Gambhir today cut a lonely figure during the Indian cricket team’s practice session on the eve of the second Test against England here.
Captain Virat Kohli’s assertion later that the Karnataka player is their “number one choice” for opening slot suggested that the 35-year-old southpaw’s time may be as good as over.
Kohli’s word seemed to have spread as Gambhir had a quiet net session and was seen in the company of Hardik Pandya, while Kohli had a prolonged chat with North Zone selector Sarandeep Singh.
At the other end of the practice area of the Dr YSR ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium was a padded-up Rahul paying attention to coach Anil Kumble’s instructions.
Having made a comeback after two years, Gambhir featured in a Test against New Zealand, scoring a fighting half-century in the second innings.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
His open-chested stance looked promising but he failed to address the problems with incoming deliveries and was trapped LBW by Stuart Broad in the opening Test against England.
His outing in the second essay lasted six deliveries as he edged Chris Woakes to Joe Root at the third slip.
The manner of the dismissals prompted the think-tank to get on board Rahul, who was playing a Ranji match against Rajasthan in Vizianagaram.
Kumble had, in fact, made it clear that he wants Rahul to open the batting with Murali Vijay.
“Rahul is available for selection and you would want Rahul to be in the starting line-up, that’s the reason he has been included,” Kumble has said yesterday.
It remains to be seen whether it’s all over for the veteran of 58 Tests after just two matches on comeback.
The day’s practice session also focussed on low catching practice, including by wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha, who was seen with Mohammad Shami at the ground.
Meanwhile, a ‘pitch puja’ was performed by a priest on the edge of the 22-yard strip ahead of Team India’s practice. The ritual lasted about 30 minutes and later head coach Anil Kumble was smeared with vermilion.
Asked about the ritual, Kohli said: “Puja is a good thing. I don’t know why you asking…”
Chairman of selectors MSK Prasad, a former director of Andhra Cricket Association, said it’s normal routine here before the start of any match.
“We have it even before the start of a first-class match. It’s normally held in the evening but today the auspicious time was in the morning, so everyone noticed it,” the former India wicketkeeper said.