Beverage giant PepsiCo has sent a notice to the Indian cricket board expressing its intention to withdraw from the IPL as title sponsor because of the controversy surrounding the spot-fixing case. Sources said the company has said in its notice that the decision was related to issues that have brought the game into “disrepute”.
It is reliably learnt that PepsiCo has informed the IPL’s chief operating officer Sundar Raman about its intention to withdraw from the title sponsorship for which it had paid Rs 396 crore ($71.77 million) for the period 2013-2017. Raman is believed to have informed newly elected BCCI president Shashank Manohar about the development.
- IPL teams to stay, bids for CSK, RR for period of their suspension
- After Express report on Pepsi displeasure, BCCI gets Vivo to sponsor IPL
- BCCI working committee has a lot on its plate
- BCCI failed to act in a fair and transparent manner: PepsiCo in no mood to relent
- Pepsi’s intention to withdraw from IPL is a big blow to BCCI: Top cricket administrators
- Fearing hit to brand image,Pepsi mulls IPL pullout
Sources in the IPL and BCCI confirmed to The Indian Express that PepsiCo has decided to cut its ties with the IPL. The company did not respond to calls and texts seeking comment. PepsiCo had previously hinted that it was considering such a move.
“Last season, Pepsi wanted to withdraw, especially in the aftermath of the spot-fixing case but the BCCI managed to convince it to stick on for another year. However, this time it was firm that it will not continue its association with the IPL, more so after the Lodha Committee recommended the suspension of Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals. The conflict of interest issues also had an impact,” said an IPL source.
The BCCI will take up PepsiCo’s notice during its working committee meeting in Mumbai on October 18.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest