The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has issued a show cause notice to flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi for speaking to the media after returning from Dhaka recently after taking part in the World T20 tournament.
The notice was issued after some members of the national team relayed their reservations to the board over the comments made by the outspoken Afridi, according to sources in the board.
Afridi told the media at the airport that Pakistan team had not shown an aggressive mindset in the match against the West Indies which led to their ouster from the tournament before the semi-finals.
He also said that if offered the captaincy he was ready to take up the challenge for the sake of the nation and team.
One of the sources said that Afridi had been asked to explain why he spoke to the media when only the captain and team officials were told to do so after the return.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Afridi, in his response, has apparently said he had never run after the captaincy and had only responded to a question put forward by a media person.
He also made it clear that he had always spoken to the media after returning from a big tournament and it was nothing new for him. He also insisted that he did not intend to harm or disrespect anyone in the team or board.
Ironically, even the cricket consultant of the team Zaheer Abbas and head coach Moin Khan had minced no words while talking about the performance of the team in the World T20 tournament and said some players would have to go in the new set up of the team.
Afridi is being tipped to take over as the captain of the T20 side after Muhammad Hafeez stepped down from the post after returning home.
Umar gets dragged in another controversy
Umar Akmal has once again got caught in a unwanted controversy after being involved in an argument with a security guard at the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore.
Umar, who had in February spent a day in jail after clashing with a traffic warden in his hometown Lahore, could also face an inquiry from the Pakistan Cricket Board over the incident at the entrance of the stadium on Monday.
According to eyewitness accounts, Umar got upset and angry when the security guard didn’t recognise him and told him he couldn’t bring his vehicle into the stadium.
“Umar had gone to the PCB headquarters to hand over invitation cards for his wedding later this month. But after the argument with the security guard he left in a huff without delivering the cards,” a source said.
The Pakistan batsman lost his cool when the guard told him that while he could go into the stadium his car would have to be parked outside.
Players are normally allowed to park their cars inside the stadium that is normally heavily guarded.
The source said the board has decided to inquire into the matter.
Umar was only able to appear in the Asia Cup and World T20 in Bangladesh after the traffic warden with whom he clashed forgave him and dropped a court case after getting a apology from the batsman.
Umar is getting married to the daughter of former Pakistan Test leg-spinner, Abdul Qadir.