Pakistan selectors axed seasoned opener Ahmed Shehzad and experienced pace bowler Umar Gul from the Asia T20 and World T20 squad because of poor and inconsistent form.
Batsmen Sohaib Maqsood and Muhammad Rizwan have also not been included in the 15-member squad for the two T20 events in Bangladesh and India.
- No place for Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal in Pakistan probables for ODIs, T20Is
- Pakistan ignore Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal for skill camp before England tour
- Pakistan recall Ahmed Shehzad for ICC World T20; Khurram Manzoor out
- Asia Cup 2016 team preview: Pakistan have much to prove
- Pakistan recall Wahab Riaz for Zimbabwe series, include two uncapped players
- Ahmed Shehzad set to return to Pakistan Test squad for Sri Lanka tour
The selectors, meanwhile, have inducted uncapped left arm pacer Rumman Raees and rookie allrounder Muhammad Nawaz, besides recalling Test opener Khurrum Manzoor, who has never played in a T20 international for Pakistan.
The exclusion of Shehzad, Maqsood and Rizwan — all batsmen — was expected as they had been struggling in recent matches.
The sources, in fact, said that the selectors had delayed the announcement of the squad for three days as they were uncertain about dropping Shehzad and were also considering wicketkeeper batsman Kamran Akmal.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“There were also some issues with the fitness of tall left arm pacer Muhammad Irfan also,” a source said.
Chief selector Haroon Rasheed, in a statement, said that while picking the squad the team management and skipper Shahid Afridi were consulted.
“The T20 squad has been selected keeping in mind the conditions during Asia Cup and World T20 and the recent performances of some players in domestic and A team tours. The team is a fine blend of experience and youth and the selectors believe the team will do well in both tournaments,” Rasheed said.
Nawaz, Raees and Manzoor have all impressed in the domestic tournament and on recent Pakistan A team tours.
Nawaz, a left arm spinner and left handed batsman, has already snapped up two man of the match awards in the ongoing Pakistan Super League in Dubai.
Interestingly Nawaz, Raees, Manzoor and batsman Babar Azam, who has scored five half centuries in nine ODIs, and middle order batsman Ifthikar Ahmed have not played in a T20 international for the national team.
Pakistan’s former fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar said he was upset at the ouster of Umar Gul but admitted that the pacer had been struggling with fitness issues for a while now.
“I am sad for him but he has not been his old self. But I am happy that Nawaz has finally got recognition for his consistent performances,” Akhtar said.
Pakistan reached the final of the World T20 in its inaugural edition in 2007 and won it two years later in England but since then have failed to impress and also failed to reach the semi-finals of the last edition held in 2014 in Bangladesh.
Pakistan squad: Shahid Afridi (Capt), Khurrum Manzoor, Muhammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Babar Azam, Ifthikar Ahmed, Emad Wasim, Anwar Ali, Muhammad Irfan, Wahab Riaz, Muhammad Aamir, Muhammad Nawaz, Rumman Raees.