Ahead of the first ODI against New Zealand, India batsman interacted with the media in Dharamsala and spoke about India’s squad, chances in the series and his involvement with the team. Excerpts:
On his batting position and the squad
Frankly speaking, I will get to know after this practice session. Really looking forward to this one-day series. We have done well in the Test series, won 3-0, but it’s important to start fresh here. Again I will say, momentum will be the key and winning the first match will be important to gain that momentum. I am really excited about the new guys coming into the team. It’s really energising and everyone is looking in good shape. Guys have done well in the A series while few of them did well in the Ranji Trophy. I am really excited and looking forward to this series.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
On adjustment from Tests to ODIs
I believe it’s completely mental adjustment because professional cricketers like us, it’s important to adjust to any format. Whether it’s Test to T20 or one-day to Test. It’s important how we adjust mentally and getting used to the conditions will be, and is, a big factor. We are tuned into that and actually experienced in doing that. We don’t really think about getting into one-day from Test or T20s. It’s all about how you deal with a certain situation, factor. I will stick to my strength and mental adjustment in ODIs will be the key.
On balance of the side for Champions Trophy
As of now, it’s important to focus on this series. There is still time for the Champions Trophy, still a long way to go. As of now, it’s all about giving new guys confidence and opportunity to do well at the highest level. We are just looking at this series right now. We are going to play one match at a time and obviously win this series.
On team approach for the ODI series
Discipline will be the key and the kind of cricket we played in Test series – our intent was aggressive all the time. So here again our intent will be to remain aggressive, play intense cricket and play to our strengths rather than focussing on their strengths or weaknesses.
On his role in the team
I don’t believe in senior or junior. For me it’s about learning at every step. I really learnt a lot as a vice-captain. On the field it’s important for you to stay alert all the time because captain always thinks a lot and there are plenty of things going in his mind. So as a vice-captain it’s important to stay alert all the time and whatever inputs you have, you pass it on to your captain. We all learn from each other. As an individual, I will like to learn many things from all the boys and if I have any inputs I will definitely share with them.