Relishing a dramatic turnaround of fortunes in the series against India, England captain Alastair Cook has said it was his wife who convinced him not to give up captaincy when his team was on a losing streak.
“Without my wife, I don’t think I’d be standing here as captain. You don’t often say things like that – I don’t know why I just have – but it’s the way I feel,” an emotional Cook told BBC Test Match Special after his side steamrolled India in the fifth and final Test to clinch the series 3-1.
Cook said it was his wife Alice who convinced him to remain as captain and lead England to victory over India.
The England captain admitted that he considered his position after losing to Sri Lanka at Headingley and then to India at Lord’s as England went 1-0 down in the series.
“You can bare your soul quite often to Alice and she’s very good at getting me back on the straight and narrow. That fourth night at Headingley was a tough place because we had let a winning position slip. Lord’s was also very tough — the way we lost there in conditions that were suited to us,” Cook said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“But I’m quite stubborn — I believe in my ability. I stuck in there through the tough times. Sport tests your character and to bounce back as a team is testament to our character,” he said.
Defeat at Lord’s had extended England’s winless run to 10 Tests and prompted widespread calls for an out-of-form Cook to stand down.
However, Cook bounced back with three fifties in four innings as England beat India at Southampton before completing a remarkable comeback with victories inside three days at Old Trafford and The Oval.
“English cricket needed a series win and to deliver like we have delivered puts a big smile on our face,” he said.