The Mumbai Indians players were buoyed by the presence of Sachin Tendulkar, who joined the team’s training session here today as the high-profile franchise starts its title defence against Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 7 on Wednesday.
The MI players were overjoyed as Tendulkar, who reached late Monday night, came in the team’s practice outfit at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi.
Having retired from all forms of the game after the Test series against West Indies ended on November 16 last year, Tendulkar seemed to be itching to have a hit in the nets.
He has already been named as an “MI Icon” recently and will also do his bit to promote the franchise’s cause of “Education for All”.
The legend padded up and had a half-an hour session at the nets during which he was a picture of concentration as if he is going to be a part of the playing XI on Wednesday.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He also did his customary knocking facing throwdowns from a member of the support staff.
“It was a lesson for the youngsters in the manner Sachin went about his drills. If someone thought that he wanted to hit a few balls for fun, they were mistaken. His drills were just like it used to be before a match,” an MI source told PTI.
Tendulkar also keenly watched the Rohit Sharmas and the Kieron Pollards at the net session and was seen talking to chief coach John Wright.
The highest scorer of all time in international cricket, will be a part of the team’s think-tank where in he will be providing inputs to coach Wright and skipper Sharma on team combination and strategies.
The iconic cricketer had said a few days earlier about how he would want to contribute with his expertise as Mumbai Indians aim to do an encore like Chennai Super Kings did in 2010, 2011 editions of the cash-rich league.
“I have been a part of the Mumbai Indians team since its inception and am delighted to continue my association. This season with Mumbai Indians will be a different experience for me and I look forward to closely interacting with the experienced support staff and sharing my learnings with the exciting youngsters in the team,” he was quoted as saying earlier this week.