Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Rhiti Sports Management Private Limited have secured a relief from the WIPO Mediation and Arbitration Center at Geneva which evicted a cyber squatter from using his name in the domain name ‘www.msdhoni.com’.
The disputed domain name – msdhoni.com – was originally registered on October 31, 2005 with Wild West Domains, LLC and USA’s David Hanley has been the registrant since at least February, 2014.
A complaint was filed by Scriboard, who represented Dhoni and Rhiti Sports, with the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center on August 19, 2016 and subsequently the Respondent offered to sell the domain name to them for USD 1,500.
Scriboard contended that “the Disputed Domain Name is identical to the MS DHONI trademark and the Respondent does not have any rights or legitimate interests in the Disputed Domain Name”.
It also contended that “the Respondent uses the Disputed Domain Name in bad faith as the website to which the Disputed Domain Name resolved made use of the Complainants’ MS DHONI trademark in order to raise advertising revenue through the use of sponsored or “click through” links”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The respondent did not file a formal response to the complainant’s contentions and accordingly the panel found that the respondent had no rights or legitimate interests in the disputed domain name.
The penal concluded the registration and use of the domain was in bad faith as the respondent had engaged in a pattern of registering domain names corresponding to the names of famous persons which provides further evidence of bad faith.
Finally the panel also noted that the respondent’s offer to sell the disputed domain name to the complainants for USD 1,500 was further evidence of bad faith.
Accordingly, the panel ordered that the disputed domain name – msdhoni.com – be transferred to the complainants.