Misbah-ul-Haq does not seem to be in danger of losing the captaincy of the national One-day team before the World Cup 2015 despite speculations about experienced allrounder, Shahid Afridi being a strong contender for this job.
The sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board told PTI that all rumours pertaining to the national one-day team captaincy were unfounded.
“There is no plan to change Misbah as captain of the Test or ODI sides as he has led the players well in both formats and is now a experienced campaigner and more importantly his own individual performances have been exemplary and consistent,” a source said.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
He conceded that a lobby was interested in bringing back Afridi as the One-day captain before the World Cup but the Chairman of the board, Najam Sethi was convinced there was no justification for changing Misbah ahead of the major event in Australia and New Zealand early next year.
“The board is definitely looking for a new captain to lead the national T20 side after the resignation of Mohammad Hafeez and it is true that some names have been discussed among them Afridi, Umar Akmal and even Ahmad Shahzad by the Chairman,” he said.
The source said that Sethi had a good understanding with former captain, Moin Khan and would take his feedback on who should be the new captain of the T20 side.
“But as far as the ODI side is considered he has conveyed to Moin there is no justification for removing Misbah that is unless the team starts performing very poorly in the one-day matches leading up to the World Cup,” the source added.
Misbah has been leading the Test side since 2010 and the One-day squad since May, 2011. He was also the national T20 captain until 2012 when the board decided to replace him with Hafeez.
Former Test pacer, Sarfaraz Nawaz and some other former players have even suggested giving back the national T20 captaincy to Misbah for the time being.
The source said that the PCB chief had some reform plans for Pakistan cricket and some former players like Moin, Mushtaq Ahmed, Inzamam-u-Haq and Waqar Younis would have important roles to play in this implementing this plan.
“Moin who has already served as manager and head coach of the national team during Sethi’s tenure since last year is certain to get a key responsibility once again,” the source said.
He said this could be either the chief selector’s position or even the head coach post if the board was unable to convince Younis for this responsibility.