Former England opener Marcus Trescothick has said he is willing to help Jonathan Trott in his struggle with a stress-related illness after a similar condition ended his international career.
Trott, who made a brief comeback after returning home following England’s opening loss in a 5-0 Ashes reverse in Australia, announced he was bowing out of both Warwickshire and international duty with immediate effect after suffering a relapse in his condition. South Africa-born Trott came under fire from the likes of former England captain Michael Vaughan when, during a television interview last month, he said he’d been suffering from “burn out”.
That led Vaughan to suggest Trott, twice dismissed cheaply by Australia paceman Mitchell Johnson in the first Test in Brisbane, had technical difficulties playing fast bowling rather than more severe mental health problems.
But Somerset batsman Trescothick was more sympathetic, having pulled out of England’s 2006/07 Ashes tour when he too suffered with a stress-related illness. “I’ve spoken to him on a few occasions just to try and help, as someone who has been through exactly the same situation, coming back from Australia,” Trescothick said Saturday.
“I can understand it. I know how it all works. Whether we cross paths and talk a few more times over the course of the year and during games, or wherever it may be, then great.” Trott came under fire from some quarters after saying he feared being regarded as a “nutcase” and “crazy” for his decision to quit the Ashes tour after just one Test.
But Trescothick was adamant Trott had meant no offence towards the mentally ill. “I didn’t have a problem with what he said. People picked up on words and it was taken at the wrong time and the wrong moment,” said Trescothick. “We have to allow him the fact that he’s the one going through it, he’s going through tough times and he has to work it out himself.”
No comeback for KP
London: England cricket chief Paul Downton has ruled out the return of Kevin Pietersen despite a new coach taking over the English cricket team.
“I watched every ball of the Sydney Test and I have never seen a man as disengaged from what was going on as Kevin was,” Downton said to British tabloid Mirror. “I arrived in Australia on December 31 and it was clear to me that there were two big issues we were facing. The future of Andy Flower and what we were going to do about Kevin.
“I spoke to all the coaches, the senior players, to Alastair Cook and to James Whittaker (head of selectors) and we came to the unanimous conclusion that if England was to rebuild after a disappointing 5-0 Ashes loss then we had to make a decision. For the side to grow we had to invest in new players and build a new team with some core values. It was decided that wouldn’t happen with Kevin Pietersen in the side. We decided to not select him going forward”.
Pietersen had a very public fall out with continued…
World Cup Express