When Sanju Samson gets a breather from his cricket schedule, which is not often, the 19-year-old heads to the sandy ground adjacent to Mulloor, a fishing village — his home — to play football. The boys at the football club don’t hard tackle the guest player.
The special treatment Sanju receives while playing bare-foot football is not because he is the most famous resident of Vizhinjam but owes to his father, Vishwanath, being the coach of the amateur football club. The former striker, who represented Delhi in the 1984 Santosh Trophy, has rekindled his love for the game by coaching the sons of fishermen in Mulloor on a sandy patch that doubles up as the academy ground.
On Tuesday, when Sanju was picked for the first time in an Indian team, Vishwanath was in the midst of a coaching session.
“When I first heard that Sanju was picked to the Indian cricket team for ODIs and T20 s and will travel to England, I could not believe the good news. It is only later in the evening that I realised what my son had achieved,” Vishwanath said.
The former Delhi police constable was instrumental in shaping the careers of both his sons — Sanju and older brother Sally, an all-rounder. They learnt the basics in Delhi, but Vishwanath opted for voluntary retirement and the family moved to Vizhinjam when Sanju was not picked for the Delhi Under-13 team six years ago.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“I feared that the setback of not getting picked would affect Sanju so we moved to Kerala where he could start afresh,” Vishwanath added.
Sanju began his second stint with a century that came off just 55 balls while representing Trivandrum in an inter-district game.
Later in the same year, he made over 900 runs, which included three tons and a double century in an Under-13 tournament organised by the Karnataka State Cricket Association.Vishwanath continues to follow his first love while Sanju journeys the way his father may have hoped.