The triumphant Kolkata Knight Riders returned to their base to a hero’s welcome with thousands of supporters lining up at the airport, shouting team slogans and waving purple flags. It was KKR skipper Gautam Gambhir, who was the first to come out of the exit door with the glittering IPL trophy in the 1B terminal, as the team members followed the left-hander to the team bus amid boisterous chanting from the fans.
Bengal sports minister Madan Mitra and Cricket Association of Bengal officials were at the airport to receive the team as the members were garlanded and flower petals were showered on the team as they made their way to the team hotel on the EM
The KKR team will be given a “royal felicitation” jointly by the state government and CAB at the Eden Gardens on Tuesday afternoon in a reception which will be open to the fans.
The felicitation is expected to be on the lines of their felicitation at the same venue on May 29, two years ago when KKR had won their their maiden IPL title by winning the fifth edition.
The city franchise had lost five of their first seven matches but went on to win a record nine matches in a row to win their second title in two years.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The felicitation will be even better than the one accorded to the KKR after their maiden IPL triumph in the fifth edition, sports minister Madan Mitra told reporters here. KKR co-owner Shah Rukh Khan will arrive on Tuesday.
The hour-long extravaganza will begin at 1 pm and end with a cultural programme in which a host of celebrities would participate.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee, who left for Jalpaiguri in the morning arrived here on Monday night after rescheduling her programmes there to attend the ceremony at the Eden Gardens, Mitra said.
‘This win is phenomenal’
Off-spinner Sunil Narine told the IPL website: “This year was even better since we scripted a win chasing 200, which is no easy task. The guys have worked hard for this win and we totally deserve this moment. We did not have the best of starts this year, but we ended up with nine straight wins, which is phenomenal.”