England wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow is hoping his rich vein of form continues for as long as possible and that his record-breaking performances with the bat will help silence his critics.
The 27-year-old set a record for the most Test runs amassed by a wicketkeeper in a calendar year during England’s thrilling 22-run win over Bangladesh in the first Test earlier this week.
The success came after a tough few years for the flame-haired Yorkshireman, who was dropped for the 2013-14 Ashes tour and has come under criticism for his keeping behind the wickets.
“You go back maybe two years and there are people writing you off to never play Test cricket again,” Bairstow told Sky Sports after surpassing the 1,045 run-haul accumulated by Zimbabwe’s Andy Flower in 2000.
“To then come back and prove a few people wrong with the way that I’ve been playing … there were a few mumbles floating around that I wasn’t good enough.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Despite having Michael Vaughan’s 14-year-old England record for the most Test runs in a calendar year (1,481) within his sights, Bairstow is not taking anything for granted.
“There’s still a lot of cricket to play this year and hopefully I can carry on in the same vein with the bat and the gloves,” he said.
“Having missed out for 18 months after the Ashes and going away and working on my game and playing for Yorkshire and earning your place back, you want to play as many games as you can for England in every single format going.”
England face Bangladesh in the second Test in Dhaka starting on Friday.