In his post-match media interaction, Indian skipper MS Dhoni spoke about how playing five bowlers helped keep the attack fresh, on him batting at No.6 and how the relatively young team is developing. Excerpts:
On the pitch
We were not really thinking about it (wicket) and our focus was on making the most out of what was given to us. I always said that when you come to a country, you want to play on a wicket that’s the speciality of that country. You know, there’s no fun in going to India and playing on flat wickets where people can score 200 or 250 runs. But it’s very good if you score a hundred on a turning track. When you come out of India, you would like the wicket to be slightly quicker. England is not known for fast wickets but here it’s more about swing and overcast conditions. That’s what you want to see.
On the bowling efforts
On wicket like this the bowlers could find it hard, but I thought they did well. They bowled close to 160 overs, and their effort was great, they kept coming in even after bowling 25-26 overs. Ishant finished with some 36 overs (38), and some others bowled a little over 30 or close to 30. So I felt it was a fantastic effort.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
On the Jadeja-Binny stand
That was a very important partnership because we were not really safe at that time. We had at least half a day’s play or more at that stage. Had it not been for that partnership we could have struggled to defend the amount of runs we had scored at that stage. That partnership was much needed.
On possible EARLY declaration
No. There was no thought of declaration (earlier). Why we didn’t declare (earlier)? because we didn’t want to.
On five bowlers
Overall I thought it helped me to keep the bowlers fresh… What we have seen in the last few games that we played outside India was that we were hampered by not having that extra bowler. We could have won some of those games had we got the extra bowler. Overall, this is something (five bowlers) we can continue forward. But lot will depend on our batting department and whether they can handle the pressure and accommodate someone like Binny or Ravichandran Ashwin
On batting at No. 6
Well, I have batted at No. 6 before. At times, you feel that you have to dress up a bit quicker than when batting at No.7. But that’s just one slot difference between 6 and 7.
On the young team
There are brilliant cases where cricketers make a big hundred on their debut and are consistent right from the word go. Otherwise, individuals take up a lot of time to adjust to Test cricket, get used to different conditions and bowling. So I feel, I can pick up a lot of positives from the way the team has developed in the last one year that we have travelled abroad. You don’t always want results in your favour but what you want is to see the team improving.