It’s not over yet… I want to win the World Cup for India: Smriti Mandhana

With 196 from the two games she has played so far, India women's cricket team opener Smriti Mandhana insists she is not done yet and wants to win the Women's World Cup 2017 for her country.

By: Express Web Desk | Published:June 30, 2017 4:31 pm
Smriti Mandhana, ICC Womens World Cup 2017, India womens cricket team, cricket news, cricket, Indian Express Smriti Mandhana has set the tournament on fire with a 90 and 106*. (Source: ICC)

Smriti Mandhana has justified the faith of selectors in fine fashion as the opener has already played two match-winning knocks for India women’s cricket team in the ongoing ICC Women’s World Cup 2017. After a 90 in the opening game against England, the left-hander smashed an unbeaten hundred against West Indies on Thursday.

An injury kept her out of action since January but she slowly found her touch back in the practice games before the World Cup. The opener is not done yet and insists there is more to come from her willow.

“It’s not over yet but I’m really happy that I’ve made a good comeback after the injury. The first match, back in the practice match against England, I was really off-touch and I was very nervous,” Mandhana was quoted by ICC.

“After that I scored 82 not out against the West Indies in a practice match so that gave me confidence that my batting was not lost. I can bat!

“It was really tough coming out of the injury but I’m really happy I’ve done enough in two matches for India and hopefully I can continue that form. I was determined to do well to show (the selectors) that they made the correct decision,” said Mandhana after slamming her second century in 25 ODIs.

Mandhana prefers English conditions, and she played her part during India’s Test win in England back in 2014. She was just 18 then. She smartly used the six-month absence from the game to her advantage.

“I love the conditions here, I love playing in cold weather. It makes me happy inside. They prepare good pitches. It’s not that I don’t like playing in India, but I like playing here more. I just concentrate on my game, there’s no TV and nothing to distract you so that helps me concentrate on cricket. While I was injured I made sure that I worked on my weaknesses. Many people have seen my game so I worked on that.

“I tried not to play too many shots because I had a habit of playing too many shots after getting set. That was the thing I worked on in the last two or three months.”

With Pakistan next, Mandhana reiterates that there is more to come and she will stop only after winning the World Cup for her country.

She added: “I’m not satisfied at all, I haven’t worked really hard for the last five months to get fit just for a 90 or a hundred. I want to do well for India and win the World Cup for India. That’s what I’ve been craving for the last five months.

“That’s what keeps me going after 50 because I had a tendency to get out after 50 so that’s what I keep telling myself so I hope I continue the same form.”

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

kiva
    Jul 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm
    DO YOU NEED A LOAN FOR ANY PURPOSE.DO YOU WANT TO START A NEW BUSINESS? OR WANT TO PAY OFF DEPTH,DO YOU NEED AUTOMOTIVE OR MARRIAGE SUPPORTS? ARE YOU IN NEED OF HOME LOANS OR COMPANY SUPPORTS? KIVA FINANCIAL COMPANY WILL ANSWER YOU. WE ARE FULLY REGISTERED FINANCIAL ORGANIZATION WITH GOVERNMENT APPROVED TO ENSURE SAFE LOAN GRANTING TO THE SOCIETY. WE PROVIDE SHORT AND LONGER TERMS OF FUNDS AT A LOW RATE OF 1 .IF YOU ARE A GENUINE BORROWER,CONTACT US TODAY FOR A REASON AND SEE HOW TRULY WE ARE. WE PROVIDE SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR DARKENED CURRENCIES AND CHEMICAL NEEDS. WE HAVE FAST AND LEGIBLE WORKERS TO SERVE YOU IN ANY TERM OF FINANCIAL EXPECTATIONS. Contact-kivaloan123
      kiva
      Jul 28, 2017 at 4:46 pm
      1. J
        Jacob
        Jun 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm
        Tougher games ahead Mandhana especially against Australia and New Zeland. Keep your best against them.
          Dr lUCASS
          Jul 2, 2017 at 10:28 am
          Hello. Do you want to buy or sell your kidney for money, Spinal Hospital is urgently in need for O ve B ve and A ve AT the rate of $800,000,00. If any one is willing to donate or sell please contact us through Contact : Hospital Email: spinalinjuryhospital Doctor email : drscottlucass call or what-supp number 917859928890 Need Genuine Donor Waiting for your responds Best Regards
          MAYUR MARU
          Jun 30, 2017 at 5:36 pm
          The way she has played cricket, she is equal to men's team and should be taken in the Indian men's tem
            Dr lUCASS