It’s baffling to find my integrity has been questioned: Sunil Gavaskar hits back at Ramchandra Guha

Ramchandra Guha, in his letter to Vinod Rai, had suggested that either Sunil Gavaskar must give up his PMG role or stop commenting on cricket matches for the Board of Control for Cricket in India

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:June 3, 2017 10:21 pm
Ramchandra Guha, Sunil Gavaskar, Board of Control for Cricket in India, BCCI, Conflict of Interest, Ramchandra Guha letter, Cricket In this picture from Express Archive, Sunil Gavaskar is commenting on a cricket match with his son Rohan.

Former India skipper Sunil Gavaskar, who is England as parts of the commentary team for the ICC Champions Trophy, hit back at Ramchandra Guha after the former Committee of Administrator (COA) member’s ‘conflict of interest’ accusation. Guha resigned from his position on Thursday and wrote a letter to Vinod Rai on Friday. In the letter, Guha wrote how the Supreme Court appointed panel ‘failed’ in addressing conflict of interest involving players like Gavaskar.

“I’m very, very disappointed if anyone is doubting my integrity. I do not have a conflict of interest. It’s baffling to find my integrity has been questioned,” Gavaskar told ‘NDTV’.

In his comprehensive letter, Guha wrote that Gavaskar’s commentary is in direct conflict with his other role as a head of a leading player management company.

“Show me one instance where I have tried to influence the selection committee. Indian cricket has done more for me than I have done for it. It’s very disappointed that they are doubting my integrity and contribution to Indian cricket.

“I am absolutely confused as to where the conflict arises. What disappoints me really is that I have been with whatever ability I have, trying to serve the Indian cricket in my own way as a player, then as an administrator for a little time with the cricket committee, the technical committee and I was there for two months as the BCCI president.”

Guha, in his letter, had suggested that either Gavaskar must give up his PMG role or stop commenting on games for the Board of Control for Cricket in India. The former CoA member was not pleased with MS Dhoni’s Grade A contract but Gavaskar backed the decision and said Dhoni deserves it.

“MS Dhoni got Grade ‘A’ contract because he is a superb player. How can you question Dhoni’s contribution to Indian cricket? If there is a superstar culture, then there is also a jealousy culture.

“Jealousy culture at people who have done something for Indian cricket, continue to do something for Indian cricket that they should not be allowed to do something for Indian cricket and those who have not done anything for Indian cricket, who have got a peripheral connection with Indian cricket should be allowed to do something,” he concluded.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

Raghu
    Jun 4, 2017 at 6:25 am
    Too many deshdrohies in BCCI for sure. They all planted by UPA times and now they are playing with morols of our greats of cricket. The w dramas are written and directed by cricket Australia. This country have no guts to win games by spirit but by cunning games. Sooner our country realises this better. Not just in cricket...Australia putting fingers in everywhere in India's internal matters. They plan these controversies when it matters most. At the movement their target is Champions Trophy.
      Raghu
      Jun 4, 2017 at 6:22 am
      Too many deshdrohies BCCI for sure. They all planted by UPA times now they playing with morols of our greats if criket. The w dramas are written and directed by criket Australia. This country have no guts to win games by spirit but by cunning games. Sooner e country realuses this better. Not just in criket...Australia putting fingers in everywhere in India's internal matters. They plan these controversies when matters most. At the movement their target is Champions Trophy.
      1. V
        Vnk
        Jun 4, 2017 at 6:21 am
        SC erred in nominating rotten third rate leftist (historian ?) Guha to BCCI. He stands no where compared to Gvaskar or Dhoni.
        1. G
          gopinth k
          Jun 4, 2017 at 5:54 am
          My dear sunil,Guhahas not said anything about your integrity.He has brought the conflict of interest in your roles.gooinath k s
          1. N
            nagarajabillur
            Jun 4, 2017 at 5:54 am
            Guha never questioned Dravid's and Gavaskar's integrity. I too have a lot of respect for both. Both ahave not done anything wrong or criminal. From their point of new and professional lives they are correct and have not broken any rules. They have bargained for their interests and have been permitted by BCCI. That is a measure of the quality of services rendered by them. But the way BCCI has done this is under question.
              ARVIND k GUpta
              Jun 4, 2017 at 5:46 am
              Fully agrees with what sunil Gavaskar has said.his contributions to Indiancricket has been immense.crores of listners are enlightened about the game in HindiAur English while he is on air.I have watched and seen him play from University to Test Cricket and he was a cl player.Now here is a man who gets eminence by writting books on cricket in his study room and occupying a position in BCCI by court courtesy is casting doubts over SUNIL integrity so as to take away the pleasure of watching the game by millions while he is commentating.RIDICULOUS I m sure Sunil still plays in the V and will not duck this bouncer by a non cricketing ULLU but HOOK it to the deep fine leg fenc the way he did to late MALCOM MARSHALin KANPUR to score 29 th hundred.keep it up sunil and dont be carried away by this out of field sledging but keep playing ground shots you have been playing for INDIA and millions of your FANS ARVIND
              1. J
                Jim
                Jun 4, 2017 at 5:02 am
                Ram Guha is a twisted idi0t Indian cricket can do without
                1. C
                  Chandrasekaran
                  Jun 4, 2017 at 4:49 am
                  Yes a person of high integrity who scored 27 runs in 30 overs
                  1. Z
                    Zaraius
                    Jun 4, 2017 at 11:24 pm
                    And that must be the only match you saw....read or heard off? What a ed comment...