Bringing the curtains down on his 37-year career as a cricket administrator, Punjab Cricket Association president Inderjit Singh Bindra stepped down. The former senior Punjab bureaucrat will be succeeded by DP Reddy, an IAS officer.
Bindra was one of the few officials to have openly questioned the continuation of N Srinivasan as BCCI president after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan, a Chennai Super Kings official, was questioned in the IPL betting and spot-fixing scandal. Bindra was the BCCI president from 1993 to 1996.
It is learnt that Bindra chose to withdraw from administration owing to health issues. He has not been attending the PCA committee meetings recently because of ill-health. Bindra took over as PCA president in 1978. Along with his once close aide Jagmohan Dalmiya, Bindra was chiefly responsible for the successful conduct of 1987 and the 1996 World Cup in India.
Bindra was also appointed principal advisor of the International Cricket Council when Sharad Pawar was its president.
Reddy, a financial commissioner in the excise and taxation department, has been associated with PCA since 1994 when he became an executive member.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The PCA’s joint secretary GS Walia said, “We have so many fond memories and under him (Bindra) the PCA and Indian cricket went from strength to strength. Among the memorable events will be 2011 World Cup semifinal played at Mohali between India and Pakistan,” he said.
“But a day comes in everyone’s life when one has to make a decision and Mr Bindra made his decision,” he said. “In 1978, he took over as PCA President and served as the body’s head till today,” he said. Under Bindra, Mohali hosted its first ODI in 1993 which was played between India and South Africa.