Rajasthan Royals signed off their UAE leg campaign of IPL-7 with a nail-biting Super Over win over Kolkata Knight Riders and senior batsman Steven Smith credited the Jaipur outfit’s success to fellow Australian James Faulkner’s triple strike in the penultimate over.
Defending 152 for five, ‘birthday boy’ Faulkner (3/11 in 2 overs) produced a splendid penultimate over in which he got the wickets of Suryakumar Yadav (31), Robin Uthappa (0) and R Vinay Kumar (0) with KKR just needing 16 off the last two.
And Smith has no doubts that the 19th over of KKR’s innings was the turning point of the match.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“I think that over from Faulkner turned the match in our favour. Until then, the game was pretty much in the balance, and in fact, they were probably in front,” Smith said after Tuesday’s win.
“With three wickets falling in one over, it got really tough for the new batsmen to have a go straight away. Credit to James for the way he handled himself in that situation and got us back into the game.
“Faulkner bowled beautifully; three wickets in an over changed the game completely. He is pretty excited. Hopefully, the form continues in India and we can win a few more,” he said.
In the Super Over, KKR batting first scored 11 off Faulkner with Manish Pandey getting a six. In reply, Smith showed his cricketing acumen with a soft tap off the last delivery from Sunil Narine towards extra cover to get two runs that sealed the match in their favour.
“It was an exciting game and it is just great to be at the right end of it,” Smith was quoted as saying in IPL’s official website.
Asked what was going on in his mind while batting in the Super Over, Smith said: “I tried to keep my mind as clear as possible. I was certain of one thing – I will only hit the ball if it is in my area, otherwise, I’ll just run a couple and that’s it.
“I had decided that no matter what happens, I will not force a big shot where it is not there. I just got a double and a single and gave the strike to Watto (Shane Watson), who I knew will surely launch one, as he did. He got one boundary away and that really set the over up.”