• Associate Sponsor

Washington Sundar’s father reveals origin of RPS spinner’s name

Rising Pune Supergiant's Washington Sundar got his first name from an ex-army officer who lived near his home.

By: Express Web Desk | Published: May 19, 2017 12:56 pm
Washington Sundar, Washington, Sundar, Washington Sundar IPL, Washington Sundar RPS, RPS, Rising Pune Supergiant, IPL 2017, IPL 10, Cricket news, Cricket, Sports news, Sports, Indian Express Washington Sundar has been one of the finds of the season for Rising Pune Supergiant. (Source: IPL)

Washington Sundar has been one of the finds of the season for Rising Pune Supergiant in the tenth edition of IPL. Coming in place of injured Ravichandran Ashwin, it was never going to be easy for the off-spinner. But, with eight wickets from 10 games and with an economy of 6.61, the 17-year-old has taken IPL 2017 by storm.

However, the mystery behind his first name was solved when his father finally reveled the reason behind his son’s name. “I am a Hindu and come from a very humble family. Two streets away from my home in Triplicane lived an ex-army man called P.D. Washington. He was extremely fond of cricket and would come to watch us play at the Marina ground. He took a liking for my game,” Sundar said in an interaction with The Hindu.

“I was poor and he would buy uniform for me, pay my school fee, get me books, take me to the ground in his cycle and constantly encourage me,” Sundar added.

Sundar, who himself was a cricketer and had made it to the Ranji team probables, said that to him the former army officer was everything. And he was the happiest man when he managed to impress selectors.

Sundar’s first son was born a few months later after Washington passed away.

“My wife had a difficult delivery. But the baby survived. As per the Hindu custom, I whispered a God’s name, ‘Srinivasan,’ in his ear. But I decided to name him Washington in memory of the man who had done so much for me. Had I had a second son, I would have called him Washington Jr,” he concluded.

Washington was exceptional during Pune’s match against two-times IPL champions Mumbai Indians where he picked up three wickets, which eventually helped the Supergiant’s make it into their maiden IPL final.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

1. Gopal Sriniwasan
    May 19, 2017 at 7:42 pm
    An imaginary story created by this Cricketer's father.Of late, I know of many Tamilians who have taken to such funny first names, like Clinton Daniel, Bose SundarKumar, Lincoln Ramakrishnan, and not to forget the well knownTamilian Hero Kennedy Vikram. All these are a pack of jokers
    (0)(4)
    1. N
      nagarajabillur
      May 19, 2017 at 8:43 pm
      Do not ridicule without data. This Sundar could be real. Story coming from a news paper is to be trusted. A lot of Andhra guys named their children after hi Nehru and Bose. his were a IAS couple in Tamilnadu.
      (0)(0)
      1. Kan Nan
        Sep 12, 2017 at 10:37 pm
        Actors Vikram and Vijay were born Christians, and their real manes were Kennedy John Victor and Joseph Chandrasekhar, but adopted Vikram and Vijay as their stage names to attract Mass. Lincoln and Clinton aren't American names, but are Christian names, any Christian including Indians have right to use those names. It doesn't mean a Hindu can't have Christian or Muslim names. A freedom fighter and lawyer D. Srinivasan named his Brahmin son after his Muslim friend Yaakob Haasan and the son is Kamal Haasan. Former CM of Tamil Nadu Karunanidhi named his son M.K.Stalin, in honor of former Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. Haven't you heard any Hindu named Lenin by his Communist Father. And the practice prevails throughout India. I recently meet a Sikh in Delhi named Tamil Selvan Singh. When I asked him, he said his Army father named him after a soldier who once saved his life. There is nothing wrong in naming one's son/ daughter after their idol, friends or person who saved their life.
        (1)(0)
        1. Amit Shah
          Dec 25, 2017 at 1:52 am
          And you are fuc ing
          (0)(0)
          Dennis Joseph Devassy
          May 19, 2017 at 1:44 pm
          Just as Tamil people name their babies after Jayalalitha and ask her opinion.
          (0)(1)