In a significant move, Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Shaharyar Khan has given power to chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq to directly announce the national team without first having to seek his approval.
A well-placed source in the Board told PTI that in recent times Shaharyar Khan had avoided making it necessary for Inzamam to first show him a selected squad and seek his approval before officially announcing it.
“In recent times Shaharyar has allowed Inzamam to select a squad and than directly announce it without first seeking his approval,” the source said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In Pakistan cricket, the rule has been that the chief selector has to seek approval of the Board chairman before making any announcement as the PCB chief is authorised to suggest or make changes in a given squad he might deem necessary.
The source said that Najam Sethi who heads the executive committee in the Board had discussed the matter with Shaharyar and suggested giving more authority to the chief selector as it was his technical job and his responsibility.
“Sethi felt that since the chief selector is Inzamam with vast experience and knowledge there was really no need for him to first seek approval before announcing a squad and Shaharyar also agreed with him,” the source added.
Shaharyar, who has been recuperating in London after a heart surgery, has now been given clearance by his doctors to travel and he is expected to be back in Lahore soon to resume his duties.
The PCB chief has been out of the country since early last month due to his health condition.
In the past, former PCB heads have been known to have changed the squads submitted by the national selectors. F
ormer players have felt that the selectors should have the authority to take an independent decision and announce teams