Bangladesh cricket authorities said today they have detained an Indian for suspected links with illegal gambling operations during a cricket series between Bangladesh and England.
The suspect was detained during Friday’s first One-day International of the controversial tour, held despite the country’s deadliest terror attack on a Dhaka cafe in July.
“Our anti-corruption officials found his movements suspicious so they detained him and handed him over to local police,” said Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) spokesman Jalal Yunus.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Gambling is illegal in Bangladesh, whose cricket authorities threw out four Indian nationals last year for suspected involvement during a Twenty20 tournament.
Local police official Bhuiyan Mahboob Hossain said the suspect had been handed to the Indian High Commission after being interrogated, and had not been charged.
England agreed to tour Bangladesh only after the Bangladeshi authorities promised “unprecedented” security during the month-long tour.
The three-match ODI series is currently locked at 1-1 after England won the first match by 21 runs and Bangladesh levelled with a 34-run win in the second match.
The two teams will head now to Chittagong, where the third and final match of the series will be held on Wednesday. The teams will also play two Tests.