India defeated New Zealand in the second Test at Kolkata to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series. With this victory, India have reclaimed the number one spot in the ICC Test rankings. Wriddhiman Saha scored half-centuries in both his innings and was declared the man of the match.
New Zealand looked like they could take the game to the final day when they were 104-1 in the 35th over with a 49-run-partnership between Henry Nicholls and Tom Latham. New Zealand then lost 7 wickets for 93 runs. The last wicket to fall was that of Trent Boult off Mohammed Shami and New Zealand were all-out for 197 runs giving India another comprehensive victory of 178 runs.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
India were top of the Test rankings after they had defeated West Indies 2-0 in August but were quickly dethroned by Pakistan when they incredibly came back from a 2-0 deficit to draw a four-match Test series in England 2-2. This is the fourth time India tops the ICC Test rankings.
Here is how twitterati reacted to India’s achievement:
Congrats Team India on winning the series&becoming the number 1 team in Tests👏I am sure they will hold this position for a long time👍 @BCCI
— VVS Laxman (@VVSLaxman281) 3 October 2016
NZ’s promising start nullified by Ashwin & Jadeja in 2nd session. Barring a miracle, India should be no.1 Test side soon!
— Cricketwallah (@cricketwallah) 3 October 2016
— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) 3 October 2016
I know captains say you are as good as the team but Virat Kohli was outstanding as captain in this test! Especially in the final innings.👏👏👏
— Sanjay Manjrekar (@sanjaymanjrekar) 3 October 2016
— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) 3 October 2016
— Lt. Anurag Thakur (@ianuragthakur) 3 October 2016
— Ajit Agarkar (@imAagarkar) 3 October 2016
— SunRisers Hyderabad (@SunRisers) 3 October 2016
Congratulations to Team India for the win!This series win was truly a team effort.Had fought back brilliantly from tight situation. #IndvsNZ
— Pune Supergiants (@RPSupergiants) 3 October 2016
— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) 1 October 2016
India now play their third Test match against New Zealand in Indore following which their next Test series start when they host England in a five-match series.