* Kohli has recorded 23 centuries in ODIs — his first vs South Africa.
* Kohli has posted 16 tons as No. 3 batsman and seven as No.4. Only two batsmen have registered more centuries at No.3 in ODIs — Ponting (29) and Kumar Sangakkara (18).
* Kohli’s tally of 21 centuries in a winning cause is bettered only by three batsmen in ODIs — Tendulkar (33), Ponting (25) and Sanath Jayasuriya (24).
- India vs New Zealand Stats: Virat Kohli first Indian captain to score over 1300 runs in a calendar year
- Virat Kohli hits 31st ODI hundred at Wankhede, only behind Sachin Tendulkar in list of most ODI hundreds
- India vs Australia Stats: Rohit Sharma only behind Sachin Tendulkar for most centuries vs Australia in ODIs
- Sachin Tendulkar took 81 more innings than Virat Kohli to reach 30 ODI tons
- Virat Kohli third in the list of most ODI hundreds, only behind Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting
- India vs West Indies stats: Virat Kohli continues to hit tons, break records
* Kohli’s 138 is the highest by a batsman for India in ODIs at Chepauk — the second highest by an Indian batsman at this batsman. Mahendra Singh Dhoni had scored 139 not out for Asia XI vs Africa XI on June 10, 2007.
* Kohli has received his 21st MOM award in ODIs — his first vs South Africa.
* Bhuvneshwar Kumar (3/68) has produced his second best bowling performance vs South Africa in ODIs after three for 41 at Indore on October 14, 2015.
* Suresh Raina’s second fifty vs South Africa is his 36th in ODIs. In a winning cause, he has registered 29 fifties.
* AB de Villiers is the first South African captain to register two centuries in ODIs in India — 112 off 107 balls at Chennai on October 22, 2015 and 104 not out off 73 balls at Kanpur on October 11, 2015. Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis hit a century each as captain in ODIs in India.
* De Villiers (112 off 107 balls) has set a South African record for the highest individual innings in ODIs at Chepauk, Chennai. In fact, he is the only South African batsman to post a century at this venue.
* The highest by a captain at Chepauk in ODIs is 113 not out by Dhoni for India vs Pakistan on December 30, 2012.
* De Villiers is the only South African batsman to record two centuries in a series/competition in India three times — in 2009-10, in 2010-11 (ICC Cricket World Cup) and 2015-16.
* De Villiers is the first visiting captain to post two hundreds in a series in ODIs in India. India’s Gautam Gambhir is the only other captain to accomplish the feat — vs New Zealand in 2010-11.
* De Villiers, with 22 centuries, has set a South African record, overtaking the tallies of 21 hundreds posted by Herschelle Gibbs and Hashim Amla.
* De Villiers (1074 at an average of 76.71 in 19 matches) has completed his 1,000 runs this year in ODIs. He had previously achieved the distinction twice — 1209 (ave.44.77) in 33 matches in 2007 and 1163 (ave.50.56) in 27 matches in 2013.
* De Villiers is the sixth batsman to manage 1000 runs in ODIs this year. The top run-scorers being Kane Williamson (1317), Martin Guptill (1287), de Villiers (1074), Ross Taylor (1041), Hashim Amla (1039) and Tillakaratne Dilshan (1003).
* De Villiers has scored 8134 runs at an average of 54.59 in 189 matches for South Africa (his overall record being 8284 at an average of 53.79 in 194 matches), overtaking Herschelle Gibbs’ tally of 8094 (ave.36.13) in 248 matches. Only Jacques Kallis has managed more runs for South Africa in ODIs – 11,550 in 323 matches at an average of 45.11. (overall 11579 at an average of 44.36 in 328).
* India have won six out of 11 ODIs played at Chepauk, Chennai (lost four and no-result one).
* South Africa have lost both their ODIs at M Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk — by 6 runs to England on March 6, 2011 and by 35 runs to India on October 22, 2015.
* India (299/8) have registered their highest total at Chepauk, outstripping the 292 vs Pakistan on May 21, 1997.
* The highest ever total at this venue is Asia XI’s 337 for seven vs Africa XI on June 9, 2007.
* Quinton de Kock became the first South African wicketkeeper to accomplish the double — 40 runs and three dismissals in an ODI twice vs India — 106 & four catches at Durban on December 8, 2013 and 43 and three catches at Chennai on October 22, 2015. No other South African wicketkeeper has recorded the distinction even once vs India.
* Century partnerships for the third and fourth wickets have been posted for India in an ODI for the fourth time — 104 for the third between Rahane and Kohli and 127 between Kohli and Raina — the instances being vs Australia at Dhaka on October 28, 1998, vs New Zealand at Christchurch on March 8, 2009, vs Sri Lanka at Hobart on February 28, 2012 and vs South Africa at Chennai on October 22, 2015.