R Ashwin will be on a hat-trick when he comes on to bowl in the second innings. He picked up two wickets in two balls in the first innings to bowl out England for 255. Both were leg-before decisions. First he got Stuart Broad and then he dismissed James Anderson. And with that, India got a 200-run first innings lead.
The second innings began on dismal note for India as Stuart Broad dismissed openers before the 10th over. Murali Vijay and KL Rahul were both out after reviews taken by England.
James Anderson then cleaned up Cheteshwar Pujara for a peach of a delivery that swung back late and hit his middle stumps. At this stage, it looked like England could make a comeback. But then Rahane joined Kohli with India at 40 for the loss of three wickets.
At stumps, India had moved on to 98 with no further damage done. It looked like Kohli was batting on different pitch and against a different bowling attack than other batsmen. He drove, pulled and defended with ease and scored yet another half-century. Rahane remained unbeaten on 22. By the end of the day, India led by 298 runs with two more day’s play remaining in this second Test in Vizag.
England would have liked to at least save the follow-on but they fell short by one run. Jonny Bairstow and Ben Stokes began the day for England at 103 for the loss of five wickets and almost had a perfect first session before Umesh Yadav dismissed the former for 53.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This exposed the England tail and Ashwin then wrapped it up. Stokes continued his good form but fell for 70. That was the final nail in the coffin.
India will like to put on some quick runs on the fourth day and set England a total of around 400 runs. This will give the Indian bowlers both runs and time to play with and bowl out the England team. Unless something dramatic happens, India are on course to take a 1-0 lead in the series.