England’s young left-arm spin bowler Zafar Ansari says he closely followed Indian spinner Pragyan Ojha’s action and tried to learn from Murali Kartik during their county stints at Surrey.
The 24-year-old Ansari picked up three wickets, including that of Ajinkya Rahane, in the drawn first Test against India in Rajkot.
“First Pragyan Ojha, first four games in 2011. The way he bowls, his actions, I followed closely for a short period of time. Murali Kartik was similar. His approach, the way he spends time at the crease. I watched and tried to learn from him,” Ansari said ahead of the second Test here.
He is one of the four Muslim cricketers in the England squad currently touring India.
“As a group of four British Muslims, there is something in that. It’s really exciting and something we’re proud of. But I would not think myself as a role model. I don’t necessarily challenge norms in a particularly way. So I would not think myself as breaking down boundaries. Moeen (Ali), Adil (Rashid) and Haseeb (Hameed) all of them are doing a wonderful job representing their communities. And that’s not an easy role to play but they are doing it really well.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
He added, “My second Test felt easier then the first from a psychological perspective. It’s just the attention being removed from you to some extent.”
Asked about his progress in competitive cricket, “Ansari said, “It’s all relative. I am probably comparing myself with Moeen and people like that. They work incredibly hard. They have certain things maybe I don’t feel like I have.”
Ansari said former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq, who is now spin consultant of the England team, only worked on the basics.
“He has not brought anything particularly new. He does not talk about changing (bowling) action etc. It’s about the basics, like thinking about the trajectory of the ball, the pace. He talks about the little things which goes into spin bowling and it gives us the confidence.
“It is more about the approach to the game like how to maintain your composure. But his thoughts about spin bowling is very useful for a young spinner because he keeps it simple.”