On the face of it, Hardik Pandya retaining his place for this game was a minor surprise. The buzz was around spin-bowling allrounder Pawan Negi, given the number of cracks on the JSCA Complex pitch. So, when MS Dhoni named an unchanged playing XI at the toss, a few eyebrows were raised.
In Pune, Pandya eventually had a chance to bat. He had been a spectator, batting-wise, in the T20 internationals in Australia. But a top-order collapse in the first match of this series had presented him with an opportunity to prove his mettle. Coming in at No. 7 Pandya, however, could only manage six off two balls on a lively surface. Playing across the line to a straight delivery from medium pacer Dasun Shanaka, the youngster was trapped plumb in front.
Here in Ranchi, Pandya was promoted to No. 5. The ball came nicely on to the bat and the 22-year-old lived up to his reputation of a hitter. His 12-ball 27 changed the complexion of the game, at a time when India had gotten stuck a little after Shikhar Dhawan’s blitz upfront. After ratcheting up 75 runs in 7 overs when Dhawan departed, India could manage just just 52 more in the next 7.2 overs, losing two more wickets. Someone had to break the shackles, and Pandya did just that.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- IPL 2016, MI vs DD: Krunal Pandya's all-round heroics gives Mumbai lifeline
- We want to give Hardik Pandya more matches, says MS Dhoni
- IND vs SL, 2nd T20I: On slow and low Ranchi track, India find flow
- Ind vs SL, T20I: India fill in the blanks
- Ind vs SL: With World T20 on mind, India eye stability in batting order
- Hardik Pandya: Rags to rockstar journey
His first scoring strokes were a couple and a single off Sachithra Senanayake. Then he beautifully picked a slower one from Kasun Rajitha and dispatched it to the deep mid-wicket fence. Senanayake came for his next over and started off with a half-tracker. Pandya clobbered it 10 rows back over the deep mid-wicket boundary. The Sri Lankan off-spinner altered his length and bowled full. But Pandya was ready, hammering it over long-on for another six. At the end of the over he had been batting on 25 off 10 balls. Sri Lanka looked a little shaken. They had rallied very well after the initial thrashing. But Pandya helped India wrest the initiative. With Suresh Raina taking Dushmantha Chameera to the cleaners in the next over with four fours, the game slipped away from the islanders.
The hosts badly need a big-hitter down the order with two important tournaments – Asia Cup and World T20 – coming up. Yuvraj Singh is yet to get into his groove, while Dhoni no longer remains the power-hitter he used to be. Someone needs to stand up and deliver at the back-end of the innings and Pandya showed he could provide the solution.