He may be an unknown entity in international cricket but Barinder Sran is not quite unfamiliar to Australian captain Steve Smith, who says the rookie pacer has impressive variations in his armoury and was discussed in the dressing room.
“I haven’t seen much of Sran’s one-day cricket back home in India, but I saw him bowling in the IPL with Rajasthan Royals and he was quite impressive. He’s a tall lad, swings the ball early and he’s got a few change-ups – I’ve let the boys know about them,” said Smith of his IPL teammate on the eve of the first of five-match ODI series.
- India vs Zimbabwe: Received tips from Ashish Nehra, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, says Barinder Sran
- India vs Zimbabwe: Barinder Sran moves it back, pegs Zimbabwe back
- On a learning curve, seamer Barinder Sran makes progress
- Ind vs Aus: For pacer Barinder Sran, Sirsa connects to Perth
- DRS could have made it interesting: George Bailey on the first ball he faced
- India vs Australia, 1st ODI, Perth: Twin tons lead Australia to six-wicket win
India could opt to hand their left-arm seamer Sran a debut, while Gurkeerat Mann and Rishi Dhawan wait in the wings. Thanks to his half-century in the warm-up match on Saturday, Manish Pandey looks set to bat at number five on Tuesday.
“I know some of the young guys that are going to get an opportunity through IPL – the likes of Manish Pandey, who I think has progressed really well and played some good cricket of late. And obviously the experience of Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma in the top order – they are pretty crucial wickets for us, and hopefully we can get them early,” Smith said.