For their two-and-a-half month road trip, the longest away assignment in recent times, the Indians have landed in England with a jumbo tour party. Maybe, a bit too big.
During the first Test, at the Nottingham team hotel, 21 rooms were occupied by the non-playing members of this traveling group.
Accompanying the 18-member squad, an unprecedentedly high number, are coaches, managers, logistics staff, helping hands, children and, for the first time, WAGs — including not just wives, but a girlfriend too.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
But more about the ‘G’ in WAG soon.
Considering this is a five-match series squeezed into 42 days, a majority of the 15-member support staff are specialists to take care of exhausted bodies or the walking wounded. Local hands have been hired to help the team’s regular ‘body caretakers’ Evan Speechly (physio), Ramesh Mane (masseur), and Amit Shah (sports masseur).
Ball thrower Raghavindra continues to travel with the Indian team in the post-Gary Kirsten era. Then, there are trainers, assistant coaches, a computer analyst, and Rahul Dravid, the team’s batting consultant. Plus, there is the team bus driver, luggage in-charge and security staff, all of them making for a crowded contingent.
Among the family members of the cricketers on this tour are Vijay’s wife Nikita and son Naveen. The team’s fielding coach had his wife, son and daughter at the team hotel at Nottingham. Cheteshwar Pujara is traveling with his wife, and so is Gautam Gambhir, who also has his three-month-old daughter with him.
In a departure from the past, Virat Kohli has been allowed to have girlfriend Anushka Sharma around. While the team management didn’t comment on the issue, it was learnt that Kohli has got the BCCI’s permission. A cricketer in the company on a Bollywood actress, as a rule, attracts an army of onlookers with autograph books and cameras. No wonder there is quite a crowd around this Indian team.