In response to Australia’s pull-out from the U-19 World Cup in Bangladesh due to security reasons, the International Cricket Council said that it will continue its preparation for the tournament which begins on January 27 and runs till February 14.
The ICC explained that its own security manager and an independent security agency had been working very closely with the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the Bangladesh security agencies, and that the planned security arrangements satisfactorily mitigate the risks identified such that it remains appropriate for the event to continue as planned.
The ICC has invited Ireland, the runner-up in the qualifying tournament in Kaula Lampur in October, to replace Australia in the 19-day tournament.
“The ICC takes its responsibilities around the safety and security of ICC events extremely seriously. And taking into consideration the full and unequivocal support of the Bangladesh government that has been afforded to us at the highest level and through all local security agencies, the advice we have received from our own and independent security experts, and the robust security plan that has been developed, the ICC remains of the view the it is appropriate for event planning to continue as scheduled,” David Richardson, ICC Chief Executive, said.
“Whilst the ICC notes and respects the position of Cricket Australia, which we understand is based on advice received from the Australian Government, we are obviously disappointed with the decision. Naturally, as part of that planning process, the ICC’s own security team, supported by an independent security agency, will continue to monitor closely the situation in Bangladesh, including all travel advisories provided by relevant government agencies.”
“Security plans associated with an event of this size and stature are always subject to continual review to ensure that they remain appropriate and fit for purpose, and this event is no different. The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is an extremely important event on the ICC calendar, which has a reputation of producing international stars. We remain confident that the ICC, in conjunction with the BCB, will be able to successfully deliver this event in Bangladesh,” Richardson concluded.