West Indies continued their unbeaten run and defeated South Africa by three wickets to seal their spot in the semifinals of the ICC World Twenty20. At the bottom of the pyramid are Afghanistan who have lost all their three matches and will be playing for pride up next against West Indies on March 27th. (STATS || POINTS TABLE || FIXTURES)
1) England (Points 4; NRR +0.018)
England have had a patchy tournament so far. They still have a fair chance of contention, provided they win their next game against Sri Lanka.
– If England win on Saturday, England will secure their place in the semifinals as the second team from Group 1 and the match between South Africa and Sri Lanka will be a mere formality.
2) South Africa (Points 2; NRR +0.485)
South Africa are virtually out of the tournament and their fate now hinges on the result of England-Sri Lanka match.
– If they prevail over Sri Lanka, they will get eliminated if England beat Sri Lanka. But if Sri Lanka manage to beat England, there will be a three-way tie between England and Sri Lanka.
3) Sri Lanka (Points 2; NRR -0.171)
Sri Lanka have two tough matches lined up to qualify for the semi-final berth. The equation in front of Sri Lanka is to win both and qualify.
-If they win both their remaining games, they qualify irrespective of NRR.
– If they beat England and miss out against South Africa, they will get eliminated.