When asked who he found was the toughest player to skipper in his long tenure as captain of the Australia, Ricky Ponting pointed out Glenn McGrath.
Ponting is part of the commentary team for BT Sports’ coverage of the Australia vs South Africa Test series and was answering fan questions. He admitted that it may seem a bit strange as “everybody will sit back and think that he’s the easiest, that you give him the ball, he comes on and he’d do a job for you.”
“And yes, that’s right, but at some stage you had to try and get the ball off him as well,” he said, “I’d tell him ‘that’s enough mate, have a rest’ and for the next 10 or 15 minutes he’d be walking around with his sleeve over his mouth calling me every name under the sun. He’d stand down at fine leg and he’d be abusing all the crowd just because he wasn’t bowling.”
Ponting took over the captaincy of the Australian team from Steve Waugh and is regarded as one of the greatest captains of all time. He oversaw a golden period in Australian cricket when they were almost undisputed in being the best ODI and Test squad in the world with players like McGrath, Mathew Hayden, Shane Warne and Adam Gilchrist amongst others being part of it. Australia won three consecutive World Cups in 1999, 2003, and 2007. The latter of the two coming under Ponting’s captaincy.
Australia currently host South Africa in a three match Test series. At stumps on Day 3, South Africa have taken a lead of 388 runs largely due to a 250 run stand between JP Duminy and Dean Elgar for the third wicket.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016