Did Dawood Ibrahim threaten Shahid Afridi with death for his spat with Javed Miandad?

According to a report in Pakistan, Dawood Ibrahim had called up Shahid Afridi on October 12 and threatened him with death.

By: IANS | Updated: October 16, 2016 7:05 pm
Shahid Afridi, Shahid Afridi retirement, Shahid Afridi retires, Shahid Afridi Pakistan, Pakistan Shahid Afridi, Afridi Pakistan, Pakistan vs Australia, Australia vs Pakistan, Cricket News, Cricket Shahid Afridi’s request for a farewell match to mark his retirement turned into a controversial issue in Pakistan. (Source: File)

Veteran Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi and legendary batsman Javed Miandad have resolved their differences after an ugly spat which even saw underworld don Dawood Ibrahim getting involved.

Afridi’s request for a farewell match to mark his retirement had turned into a controversy when Miandad reacted negatively, claiming the veteran all-rounder wanted it for the money.

Miandad had also alleged that Afridi was involved in match fixing and had claimed that he was a witness to such activities by the latter.

“I would want Shahid Afridi to swear by his children and say that he has not fixed matches for Pakistan and has not sold Pakistan. I am a witness, I have caught him. I had caught the entire team. These people are fixers and they are talking about money,” Miandad had told a Pakistani news channel.

That prompted Afridi to threaten legal action against Miandad which earned him the ire of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim whose daughter is married to the Pakistan batting legend’s son.

According to a report in siasat.com, Dawood had called up Afridi on October 12 and threatened him with death.

Afridi, who made waves with a record-breaking 37-ball century in his ODI debut innings, told mediapersons that Miandad has always had “issues with money” and that he has evidence to show that the cricketer has been involved in match-fixing.

However, following intervention by several former players, including former Pakistan captains Imran Khan and Wasim Akram, the duo decided to bury the hatchet.

They met at a friend’s place here om Saturday to resolve their differences following which they released a video showing them offering sweets to each other.

“Afridi is like a younger brother. And I have already stated that everything is finished from my side. A lot of things happen in the heat of the moment. And I know that Afridi is still unhappy with a few things I said but I take all my words back,” Miandad was quoted as saying in the video message by the Express Tribune.

Afridi also said that since Miandad has taken his words back everything is fine now.

“I am happy to meet you. I never wanted you to say sorry to me because you are elder to me. You have taken your words back and that is enough for me and all my fans. I am also sorry for all things that I said and that might have hurt you,” Afridi said.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App now

1. L
    Lal M
    Oct 16, 2016 at 6:26 pm
    Chootiya journalism all lies shud write about ur moms adventures with D
      Mayank
      Oct 26, 2016 at 2:21 pm
      What a joke!! Miandad is saying everything is settled between him and Afridi after accusing him of match fixing. Had the fixing been done with mutual consent it would have been ok ....How stupid and sold out people ...
        kris kumar
        Oct 16, 2016 at 8:26 pm
        I am not surprised that Afridi decided to show some maturity to not get involved with criminal like Miandad. Dawood is a big and powerful criminal who will not hesitate to eliminate Afridi with out any body knowing what happened. All this drama that the two parties and other got involved to sort out the matter amicably was just a white wash and a lie. Afridi is just a simple young family man who has pride in dedication and honesty towards his team and cricket but some criminals like Dawood and Miandad who probably lost lot of money in the gambling accused Afridi of cheating and this was not only a lie but a very damaging to his character.
          Mayur Panghaal
          Oct 16, 2016 at 5:36 pm
          Whats so surprising ? All games are fixed incl football and tennis.
            Ravi Shankar
            Oct 16, 2016 at 6:18 pm
            Pigs fighting each other and a dreaded Terrorist is also involved. Is Miandad a lesser Terrorist than Dawood is the question.
              Raj
              Oct 16, 2016 at 8:17 pm
              Javed Miandad is relative of a terrorist. Such a shame. Afridi comes from much more sober family.
              1. N
                nigam
                Oct 16, 2016 at 6:14 pm
                daud ibrahim will be destro with ire of the pashtuns (pathans) if he ever did that..
                1. N
                  nigam
                  Oct 16, 2016 at 6:20 pm
                  why you have to be calling names for the sake of your happiness you lowlife thug