The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) will seek a clarification from skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni over his comments that head coach Duncan Fletcher would lead India at next year’s World Cup.
The matter of Dhoni insisting that Fletcher, under pressure after the BCCI appointed former all-rounder Ravi Shastri as director of the Indian team, will be ‘the boss’ and at the helm of the coaching group at the World Cup has not gone down well with top BCCI officials.
“We’ve to seek clarification from him (Dhoni) after he returns from the (ongoing) England tour. It would be wrong to go by media reports. The media can alter the whole context. So we’ve to ask Dhoni what exactly he said and what exactly he meant. If his reply is not convincing, then the matter will be placed before the working committee, which, in turn, will take a decision,” BCCI vice-president Ravi Savant told The Indian Express on Wednesday.
At a press conference ahead of the first ODI in Bristol, Dhoni said: “We have Ravi, who will look into everything, but Duncan Fletcher is the boss. It’s not as if his powers or his position have been curtailed. He will definitely lead us into the World Cup.”
Fletcher’s contract runs till the end of next year’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand but the BCCI has now decided to review his performance after every series. Savant said that it was not the captain’s job to decide the tenure of a coach.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“A captain can comment on a coach’s role in the team and the way he has been working. But he’s not entitled to speak about a coach’s tenure or for how long he will be retained. That’s our (BCCI) job. And if Dhoni’s comments have undermined BCCI’s authority, then he must clarify the context. There are some dos and don’ts for the players and no one shall cross the limit.”
It is learnt that the next working committee meeting could be called within a couple of weeks.