The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) will seek a clarification from skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni over his comments that head coach Duncan Fletcher would lead India at next year’s World Cup.
The matter of Dhoni insisting that Fletcher, under pressure after the BCCI appointed former all-rounder Ravi Shastri as director of the Indian team, will be ‘the boss’ and at the helm of the coaching group at the World Cup has not gone down well with top BCCI officials.
“We’ve to seek clarification from him (Dhoni) after he returns from the (ongoing) England tour. It would be wrong to go by media reports. The media can alter the whole context. So we’ve to ask Dhoni what exactly he said and what exactly he meant. If his reply is not convincing, then the matter will be placed before the working committee, which, in turn, will take a decision,” BCCI vice-president Ravi Savant told The Indian Express on Wednesday.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
At a press conference ahead of the first ODI in Bristol, Dhoni said: “We have Ravi, who will look into everything, but Duncan Fletcher is the boss. It’s not as if his powers or his position have been curtailed. He will definitely lead us into the World Cup.”
Fletcher’s contract runs till the end of next year’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand but the BCCI has now decided to review his performance after every series. Savant said that it was not the captain’s job to decide the tenure of a coach.
“A captain can comment on a coach’s role in the team and the way he has been working. But he’s not entitled to speak about a coach’s tenure or for how long he will be retained. That’s our (BCCI) job. And if Dhoni’s comments have undermined BCCI’s authority, then he must clarify the context. There are some dos and don’ts for the players and no one shall cross the limit.”
It is learnt that the next working committee meeting could be called within a couple of weeks.