Sebastian Vettel hit another obstacle in his already troubled Formula One title defense when his Red Bull sputtered to stop early in the Spanish Grand Prix’s first practice session on Friday.
Red Bull said an electrical problem that “damaged the wiring” of Vettel’s car meant he would not return for the afternoon practice session. That leaves Vettel with only one session to prepare on Saturday before qualifying.
After Vettel was whisked back to the paddock on the back of a scooter, Lewis Hamilton steered his Mercedes to the fastest lap time of 1 minute, 27.023 seconds. The British driver is looking to add to his three pole positions and hat-trick of wins after four races this season.
Hamilton’s teammate and F1 leader Nico Rosberg was limited to only nine laps due to a cooling issue. Vettel was running through his fifth lap on the sunny and dry 4.6-kilometre (2.9-mile) Circuito de Barcelona-Catalunya when his Red Bull came to a halt.
Vettel helped push his RB10 out of the path of his rivals before a group of fans gathered at the fence to take photographs of the four-time world champion using a fire extinguisher on the rear of his malfunctioning car.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Red Bull had given Vettel’s car an older chassis in a move that the German called a “sanity check” to try and find an elusive answer to his car’s lack of pace.
The Austrian team renowned for its design had a bigger problem than speed, however, when Vettel was left stranded just after the fifth turn.
Hamilton hasn’t lost a step after a three-week break and showed that the other teams have yet to make headway despite their upgrades for the start of the season’s run of European events.
Hamilton bettered Jenson Button’s benchmark time with two late flying laps. His McLaren rival finished with the second best time. Pablo Maldonado of Lotus recorded the most laps of the hour-and-a-half session with 34.
The session to prepare for Sunday’s race featured some close calls. Sergio Perez had to box when the left mirror on his Force India car became detached and the Mexican driver had to grab it and drive one-handed while coming in.
Hamilton trails Rosberg by four points despite having won the last three races in front of his teammate. The pair have won all four races and taken all four pole positions this year.
Vettel is having his worst session at Red Bull with only one podium finish so far and sits in a distant fifth place in the standings. He has even had to let new teammate Daniel Ricciardo pass him twice during the last two races.