While India’s stocks continue to take a beating in England, things are looking up for skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni back home after he was recommended for the Padma Bhushan award by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). The award is the third highest civilian award in the country.
The Indian board has also pushed forward the names of under-performing middle-order batsman Virat Kohli to the sports ministry for the Padmashree Award . The women’s team captain Mithali Raj, presently also in England, has also been nominated for a Padmashree by the BCCI.
“The BCCI felt that Dhoni is the right candidate for the award. Last year, India clinched the Champions Trophy under his leadership and he is the lone Indian captain to win all major ICC tournaments. We felt he deserves it,” a BCCI official said. Dhoni is already a Padmashree awardee, having been accorded the title in 2009.
Meanwhile, Kohli might be enduring the worst run with the bat in his highly prolific international career, but his performances over the last year were nothing short of outstanding. Just 25, he already has amassed 5634 runs in 134 ODIs and has emerged as India’s mainstay of late. Over the last eight months, he has also taken over the No.4 spot in the Test batting line-up filling into the boots left vacant post Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement.
“No one has performed as well as Virat has over the past four years. His performance has been exceptional for the country and we thought recommending him for the Padmashree is justified,” the source added.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched