IN A first, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has banned its players from visiting casinos during the limited overs tour of Australia. The instruction was relayed to the team during their bus ride from Brisbane to Melbourne, the venue of the third one-dayer against Australia, on Sunday.
The decision to impose the ban was taken by BCCI president Shashank Manohar and secretary Anurag Thakur.
The Indian team is staying at a five-star hotel in Melbourne, whose complex houses one of the most famous casinos of Australia.
The Sunday Express has learnt that the BCCI took the decision as it did not want to take the risk of cricketers inadvertently meeting the “wrong people”, or being seen at a place which could be construed as inappropriate for a national cricketer.
- Fans should simply hold onto their tickets until further notice, says Cricket Australia
- Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri, Duncan Fletcher to attend Phillip Hughes' funeral
- Three’s company
- To break the ice,India,Pak teams meet this winter
- After five years,Pak cricket team to come for an India series
- Kapil believes no 'rift' in Team India
The BCCI has been involved in an image-building exercise following the IPL spot-fixing and betting controversy, and the subsequent Lodha committee report which recommended a number of reforms.
The recent revelations that Indian-origin South African cricketer Ghulam Bodi attempted to fix the national T20 league matches has also served as a reminder that players are being pursued by unscrupulous people.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
The modus operandi of bookies and fixers involves befriending the cricketers during their time away from the field — at the team hotel, restaurants, pubs or social gatherings — before trying to influence them.