Bangladesh fast bowler Shahadat Hossain was sent to jail after surrendering on Monday on charges of torturing an 11-year-old housemaid, a day after his wife was arrested.
Bangladesh Cricket Board has suspended him from all forms of cricket until the charges are cleared.
Hossain submitted a bail petition before the court after his surrender, his lawyer Kazi Mohammad Nazibullah Hiru said. The court sent him to jail after rejecting the bail plea, a court official said.
- Tropical Storm Pilar likely to drench Mexico city, Puerto Vallarta
- India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: Hardik Pandya takes India to series win, World No 1 ODI ranking in Indore
- Rahul Gandhi to begin three-day Gujarat tour from tomorrow
- India become World No. 1 in both ODIs and Tests
- Hardik Pandya's quick-fire 78 lights up Twitter: Who said what on social media
- I take no credit for creating Shah Rukh Khan: Barry John
The couple went into hiding after the allegations surfaced last month.
The 29-year-old Hossain, who has played 38 tests and 51 ODI for Bangladesh, last played a test against Pakistan this year but was then dropped because of injuries.