Veteran paceman Peter Siddle has been ruled out of the second test with a back injury, meaning Australia may need to make three changes to the lineup that lost the series-opening match by 177 runs to South Africa.
Cricket Australia said Siddle, who was coming back from eight months out recovering from back stress fractures, had aggravated his back problems. The 31-year-old paceman bowled 26 overs in the second innings in Perth as the South African batsmen dominated, taking 2-62.
Jackson Bird has been drafted into the squad as standby injury cover. Uncapped Joe Mennie, who was 12th man in Perth, is another option to be called into the pace attack that is led by Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood.
“While we expect bowlers to be sore after test matches, this was slightly worse than we expected and given that he was returning from a significant back injury,” Australia team physiotherapist David Beakley said. “Scans demonstrated some low grade bone oedema around his old stress fracture that is likely to be a flare up of his previous lower back injury.”
Opener batsman Shaun Marsh broke a finger in the first test and has been ruled out of the series, while middle-order batsman Adam Voges sustained a hamstring injury while fielding.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Joe Burns and Callum Ferguson have been added to the Australia squad as potential replacements.
South Africa lost pace spearhead Dale Steyn to a right shoulder injury during the first test, ruling him out of the series.