Australia vs New Zealand: Rain saves Australia after Kane Williamson century for New Zealand

New Zealand and Australia share a point each after rain washes out their group game of ICC Champions Trophy in Birmingham. Kane Williamson scored a century as New Zealand posted 291 batting first and Australia were 53 for 3 when rain arrived.

By: Express Web Desk | Updated: June 3, 2017 1:01 am
australia vs new zealand, aus vs nz, champions trophy, champions trophy 2017, australia cricket, aus vs nz record, cricket news, cricket, indian express Kane Williamson scored his ninth ODI century. (Source: AP)

Four years ago, when Australia and New Zealand game in the Champions Trophy 2013 was washed out, Australia had a slight advantage over their rivals and would not enjoyed the one point. It was the other way around on Friday at the same venue. The Blacks Caps had Australia in a spot of bother and won’t be entirely happy with one point they get from the washed out game in Birmingham.

History repeated itself on Friday, when New Zealand and Australia were forced to share one point each after their group game of Champions Trophy was washed out due to rain. New Zealand finished their innings but Australia were 53 for the loss of three wickets when rain arrived and after an inspection, umpires called off the game.

Kane Williamson scored a century while half-century from Luke Ronchi and an important innings of 46 runs from Ross Taylor set the platform for a big score for New Zealand but they lost their last seven wickets for 27 runs to be bowled out for 291 from 45 overs. The match was reduced to 46-over per side after rain interrupted New Zealand innings.

The rain would have left New Zealand disappointed as they had gained an upper-hand in the match. In their chase, Australia had lost David Warner who tried slashing a short-ball and wide from Trent Boult. Second opener Aaron Finch hit it straight to mid-wicket off Adam Milne, who also removed Moises Henriques, caught off his own bowling. The players were off the field after the fall of the wicket and no play was possible after that.

Earlier, New Zealand won the toss and elected to bat on a gloomy day and proved it to the be the right decision by blasting a century. Opener Luke Ronchi, given a chance ahead of Tom Latham, scored a 33-ball half-century. Williamson and Taylor shared a 99-run stand before Taylor was dismissed for 46.

Williamson was run-out immediately after scoring his century and that triggered a collapse in New Zealand batting. Josh Hazlewood picked up his career best 6 for 52, cleaning up the New Zealand tail.

The Black Caps lost their last seven wickets for 37 runs in space of six overs. Hazlewood picked up three wickets in the 45th over to bowl out New Zealand.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

1. L
    lora james
    Jul 11, 2017 at 2:34 am
    I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there's no cure for Herpes I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes Virus, I saw a post of Dr. Amadu a herbal doctor that's helping people get cured from HIV, HEPA IS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and told him how I'm feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine via Dhl delivery service and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was Negative. I haven't had any symptoms anymore. Dr. Amadu is great and you can contact via (dramaduherbalhome ) Whatsapp him via 2349052645237
    ambrosee
    Jul 2, 2017 at 1:58 pm
    IF YOU ALSO NEED SOLUTION IN THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM,CONTACT HIM AS WELL DOCTOR AMBROSE. 1. HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2. GETTING YOUR EX LOVER BACK 3. CHILD BEARING. 4. BREAKING OF GENERATION COURSE. 5. GETTING OF JOB. 6. JOB PROMOTION. 7. MONEY SPELL. 8. SPIRITUAL PROTECTION. 9. HERBAL CARE. 10. BEAUTY SPELL. 11. WINNING LOTTERIES 12. Lost Love Spells 13. Divorce Spells 14. Marriage Spells 15. Binding Spells 16. Breakup Spells 17. Banish a past Lover. 18. You want to be promoted in your office. 19. Fertility Spells/Pregnancy Spells 14 Guarantee you win the troubling court cases divorce no matter the stage 15 Stop your marriage or relationship from breaking apart. if you are having any type of this disease or infection kindly email Doctor(Ambroseehis999 OR add him up on whatsapp 2348115687389) for cure
    Alicia dempsey
    Jul 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
    All thanks to Dr OHIKHOBO for curing my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 (HSV2) with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr OHIKHOBO to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 (HSV2) of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 (HSV2) could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr OHIKHOBO that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( drohikhoboherbalcenter ) or you can call him on 2348103601042
    marlene phillps
    Jun 30, 2017 at 3:14 pm
    Hi everyone i have been diagnosed of herpes for more than five years now not until this this powerful dr was introduce to me by my niece that he could cure me but i never believed because i have come across so many scammers before but after many days of doubting i decided to give the dr a try he took only one week for me to receive the medication from dr ohikhobo through the dhl service after receiving it,he directed me on how to use it .Two weeks later he told me to go for check up and my dr confirmed that i was freed from herpes.for does of you who think there is no cure for herpes stop doubting contact dr ohikhobo at drohikhoboherbalcenter and see for yourself.Here is his : drohikhoboherbalcenter.webs
  5. B
    Bela Natasha
    Jun 25, 2017 at 3:52 pm
    Hello everyone, Now this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solution. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr. Goodnew a herbal prac ioner who helped cure me from Genital herpes, this i had suffered from for the past 2years and have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine he sent to me to drink for about 9days . 3days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested Genital Herpes NEGATIVE. I'm sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Goodnew because I got to know him through a friend he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don't die in ignorance and don't let that illness take your life. Contact Dr. Goodnew whatsApp 2349051208634
  6. B
    Bela Natasha
    Jun 25, 2017 at 3:51 pm
  7. B
    beatris
    Jun 19, 2017 at 2:21 am
    Dr OLA God will continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you are doing in peoples life, I will keep on testifying about your good work, I was healed from HERPES VIRUS through the help of Dr OLA. I saw a blog on how Dr OLA known as ‘LORD SPIRITUAL’ cured people with his herbal treatment, i did not believe but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he prepare the herbs for me which i took, after taking it, he told me to go for check up, could you believe that i was confirm herpes negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also negative, i am so happy. If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: olaspell1 or call or whatsapp him on this 2348175591880
  8. J
    Johnson Kelvin
    Jun 16, 2017 at 12:04 pm
    HOW I WAS FINALLY CURED OF HIV BY DR OSAJIE HERBAL MEDICINE AFTER WASTING MONEY IN DIFFERENT HOSPITAL I'm morrison from USA , I Never believed i was ever going to be HIV Negative again,Dr OSAJIE has given me reasons to be happy, i was HIV positive for 2years since then i have contact different herbal doctor yet it could not cure me,until when i saw great testimony about Dr OSAJIE on how he was able to cure someone from HIV, this person said great things about this man, Dr OSAJIE on how he finally cure him after been scam by different doctor, then i quickly contact him and he told me what i need to do, then i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him,and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days,and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by Dr OSAJIE i went back to the Hospital for check u